IMAP marking messages read on server

aaroncampbell

Reaction score
I'm actually having several issues with the IMAP implementation on the Droid X. 1) When I delete a message from the server it doesn't delete from the phone.
2) Messages that are moved don't seem to be moved on the phone.
3) This is the MOST ANNOYING one: For some reason my Droid X is marking messages as read on the server. I have RackSpace E-Mail and at first I was worried that the problem was with Thunderbird since I use that for my E-Mail too. However, I have shut down Thunderbird for a day and when I check back via webmail all the messages received in the last day show as read. On the phone they do NOT show as read (since I haven't read them).

Unfortunately, the thing I most use my phone for is E-Mail, and this makes it nearly unusable!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm actually having several issues with the IMAP implementation on the Droid X. 1) When I delete a message from the server it doesn't delete from the phone.
2) Messages that are moved don't seem to be moved on the phone.
3) This is the MOST ANNOYING one: For some reason my Droid X is marking messages as read on the server. I have RackSpace E-Mail and at first I was worried that the problem was with Thunderbird since I use that for my E-Mail too. However, I have shut down Thunderbird for a day and when I check back via webmail all the messages received in the last day show as read. On the phone they do NOT show as read (since I haven't read them).

Unfortunately, the thing I most use my phone for is E-Mail, and this makes it nearly unusable!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Am I mistaking or are you paying for something that gmail does for you for free?

That's what it looks like to me from the link that I clicked on. Obviously you know about gmail or you wouldn't have mentioned iMAP.

I'm probably dead wrong but it looks to me like you should just use gmail instead of this other server. There may be a reason your using it, I apologize if my advise isn't helpful.

Am I mistaking or are you paying for something that gmail does for you for free?

That's what it looks like to me from the link that I clicked on. Obviously you know about gmail or you wouldn't have mentioned iMAP.

I'm probably dead wrong but it looks to me like you should just use gmail instead of this other server. There may be a reason your using it, I apologize if my advise isn't helpful.

Google doesn't do E-Mail on your domain for free. We use Rackspace for all our hosting needs, and we use their E-Mail services for all our domains.

In the end though, calling into question my choices for E-Mail service doesn't really help fix the problem.

Well, I already said sorry if it wasn't helpful. I hope someone comes up with a solution to this issue, it's apparently over my head.

I had imap issues also with the built in mail client.It appeared to me that the built in client did not know to use the imap mail boxes. For instance it would not save my SENT mail in any box. I switched to the Maildroid client instead. Maildroid lets you choose what boxes to choose. Now imap works properly.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

K9 which is free from the market is what I use.

IMAP can be a pain to set up with any client, but the stock email client on the droid (don't know about on X) SHOULD NOT BE USED AT ALL BY ANYONE due to a handful of pretty major bugs.

I switched to the K9 client and still have the same issue with emails on my POP server being marked as "Read" when I download them to my Droid-X. I never had this problem with Blackberry, and I don't like it.

I would think it is serverside. I have my domain with Fastdomains and the stock IMAP works flawlessly.

but at least with K9 - when I delete a message from the droid, it deletes it on the server as well. With the stock email client, the message was left on the server even when I deleted it on the Droid.

but at least with K9 - when I delete a message from the droid, it deletes it on the server as well. With the stock email client, the message was left on the server even when I deleted it on the Droid.

Ah I see... I guess I never noticed. It marks it as read but does not delete it.

Ah I see... I guess I never noticed. It marks it as read but does not delete it.

Never really bothered me, it's like an added safeguard ...

I use my Droid, two lappys, and my server at home, the server is set pop3, the rest IMAP.

In evning, I hit up my accounts and that takes care of anything ...

Forward server mail to gmail account. Centralized and easy to access from anywhere. That's what I ended up doing.
They can import all of your old mail too, keeping original dates and everything. I was blown away.

All my accounts were imported and now I manage them from gmail.

Forward server mail to gmail account. Centralized and easy to access from anywhere. That's what I ended up doing.
They can import all of your old mail too, keeping original dates and everything. I was blown away.

I'm resisting the urge to put my entire life on google, so they don't get to see my email for now. DroidX should work with my Exim server and not mark messages read when it downloads them. I shouldn't have to "work around" the issue by migrating the rest of my life to Gmail.

I'm resisting the urge to put my entire life on google, so they don't get to see my email for now. DroidX should work with my Exim server and not mark messages read when it downloads them. I shouldn't have to "work around" the issue by migrating the rest of my life to Gmail.

I agree, and I don't blame you. I was so tired of dealing with so many accounts that I ended up using the one option that was the most generous. Bottom line is google gave me the tools and did the job easy on me, unlike I would have ever expected.

But of course, they own like 12 years worth of my email history. lol

You could say I gave in.... :wacko:

Back