Issue with RootmyX2

flyerhell

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I searched around various forums but couldn't find the answer to my exact question. If this has already been answered before, I would appreciate if someone can please point me in the right direction.

I tried to root my DroidX easily with RootmyX2. I ran into a similar problem that many seem to be having - after installing the bin and restarting the phone, RootmyX2 did not see the phone. I tried it a few times to no avail. I finally gave up and decided to try to root the phone another way. I clicked on "unroot" and something similar happened - I saw a message saying the phone was unrooted succesfully and then the program stopped at "waiting for device." I tried restarting the phone and saw an "unroot failed" message.

My question is, do I need to completely wipe the phone to clear out anything that was installed in it or can I simply just try to use another rooting method? I don't want to bring the phone to Verizon for some reason or not be able to get an OTA update because there are some remnants of RootmyX2.

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone,

I searched around various forums but couldn't find the answer to my exact question. If this has already been answered before, I would appreciate if someone can please point me in the right direction.

I tried to root my DroidX easily with RootmyX2. I ran into a similar problem that many seem to be having - after installing the bin and restarting the phone, RootmyX2 did not see the phone. I tried it a few times to no avail. I finally gave up and decided to try to root the phone another way. I clicked on "unroot" and something similar happened - I saw a message saying the phone was unrooted succesfully and then the program stopped at "waiting for device." I tried restarting the phone and saw an "unroot failed" message.

My question is, do I need to completely wipe the phone to clear out anything that was installed in it or can I simply just try to use another rooting method? I don't want to bring the phone to Verizon for some reason or not be able to get an OTA update because there are some remnants of RootmyX2.

Thanks in advance!
I never heard of whatever you got hold of to root your X. Try z4Root.

Now there seems to be a question if your phone is currently rooted or not. Do you have a Superuser? Then more then likely you are rooted. If you wish to remove the root use the z4Root. If for some reason that fails, then you probably need to sbf. Sorry, I don't have and sbf files for the X, but they do exist.

Thanks, that worked!

I understand that I won't get OTA updates when the phone is rooted. If I unroot the phone, can I check for OTA updates that way? What about updates for various apps, will I need to unroot the phone to check for those as well?

Apps will update normally, you don't have to unroot to take an OTA but it will generally take root from you so it's not a bad idea to unroot first. You have to have a stock system ie bloatware in tact, stock ROM etc. to take an OTA update.

OK, thanks again for the help! I plan on leaving all of the bloatware and probably the stock ROM....I just wanted the root for the wireless tethering.

Back