Just Rooted... Now what :)

Garandhero

Reaction score
OK I just rooted,
What apps should I get?
What is the free 3G mobile hotspot app?

What stock applications can I uninstall safely?
What else can I do now that I am rooted to make my phone better!

Thanks!

OK I just rooted,
What apps should I get?

Thanks!

3 g mobile hot spot app is just turning your phone into a 3g hot spot works the same as wifi tether just better IMO

Abe put some pretty good links out there

i would for sure install these things
rom manager
droid X boot strapper
(both in market)

then as an optional install
root explorer
team blackhat

OK I just rooted,
What apps should I get?

Thanks!

3 g mobile hot spot app is just turning your phone into a 3g hot spot works the same as wifi tether just better IMO

rom manager
droid X boot strapper
(both in market)

root explorer
team blackhat

Can you explain what these do?

Also I can just use the stock 3g mobile hotspot app once rooted, and not have to pay?

OK I just rooted,
What apps should I get?

Thanks!

rom manager
droid X boot strapper
(both in market)

root explorer
team blackhat

Also I can just use the stock 3g mobile hotspot app once rooted, and not have to pay?

No, not nativelly, if you buy the TeamBlackHat app along with the Koushs bootstrapper, then you can apply TeamBlackHat's update.zip that applys a fix to the 3G Hotspot app that allows it to work with your already paid for 3G through the 3G Hotspot app, like the Wireless Tether app. FYI - using the 3G Hotspot app turns the Droid WiFi Hotspot into Infrastructure mode, which is recognized by everything, like your XBox, PS3, PSP, iPod.... you get the picture, where as the WiFi Tether for Root Users app turns it into adhoc mode, which works fine on computers, but not so well on game consoles or other odd WiFi connections....

dancedroid

rom manager
droid X boot strapper
(both in market)

root explorer
team blackhat

No, not nativelly, if you buy the TeamBlackHat app along with the Koushs bootstrapper, then you can apply TeamBlackHat's update.zip that applys a fix to the 3G Hotspot app that allows it to work with your already paid for 3G through the 3G Hotspot app, like the Wireless Tether app. FYI - using the 3G Hotspot app turns the Droid WiFi Hotspot into Infrastructure mode, which is recognized by everything, like your XBox, PS3, PSP, iPod.... you get the picture.

dancedroid

Alright but currently if I just use the 3g mobile hotspot - it just starts up and doesnt say I need to pay or anything - it just turns on.... And I can connect. Before I rooted, I would of been prompted about payment I think..

So maybe once you root the stock 3g mobile hotspot app does just automatically work for free?

Alright so I got Droid X Bootstrapper and made a backup.

Now what? Can I just get Rom Manager and install ROMs that easy?

When a new OTA version comes out what do I need to do get it (besides unroot and make sure all my applications are defrosted)

No, not nativelly, if you buy the TeamBlackHat app along with the Koushs bootstrapper, then you can apply TeamBlackHat's update.zip that applys a fix to the 3G Hotspot app that allows it to work with your already paid for 3G through the 3G Hotspot app, like the Wireless Tether app. FYI - using the 3G Hotspot app turns the Droid WiFi Hotspot into Infrastructure mode, which is recognized by everything, like your XBox, PS3, PSP, iPod.... you get the picture.

dancedroid

Alright but currently if I just use the 3g mobile hotspot - it just starts up and doesnt say I need to pay or anything - it just turns on.... And I can connect. Before I rooted, I would of been prompted about payment I think..

So maybe once you root the stock 3g mobile hotspot app does just automatically work for free?

I cant be absolutely sure, because I never started it up, but the notes on the Patcher says that it "edits the NVRAM of your phone". I am not going to pretend that I know the extent of what that means, although I can assume it has to do with how the connectivity gets transported through the system, just rooting does not do this automatically...

But I guess you will find out for sure when you get your next bill.

Alright so I got Droid X Bootstrapper and made a backup.

Now what? Can I just get Rom Manager and install ROMs that easy?

When a new OTA version comes out what do I need to do get it (besides unroot and make sure all my applications are defrosted)

Yes, it is that easy, although some ROMS may be locked to the premium edition only. I recommend paying for the premium version and support the developers. Just make sure you keep the Bootstrapper always installed. You might have to download the ROM and then reboot into recovery and install it manually, read the specific ROM instructions to be sure.

Back