Just Upgraded to the Rezound

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I was perfectly happy with my Droid 2...loved it actually. But then the home button stopped working at times...the touch screen started freaking out, scrolling around on it's own and selecting things on it's own. It stopped for a day or so, then started up again. I reformatted numerous times, didn't work. It was about time to upgrade anyway, so instead of sending it off and paying to get it fixed, I decided to put that money towards a phone upgrade. And when I found out if I got a 4G phone before 6/28, I'd get to keep my unlimited data on the 4G network. I think that's only for the length of the new contract though...but it's better than being capped.

I'm not one to jump on the latest and greatest as soon as it comes out. And while that would be nice, I'm not a fan of paying the premium price for the latest and greatest. I like to wait a bit and get it cheaper, plus, by waiting, I get to hear from folks who have used it in the real world for months before I make up my mind.
And when I saw Verizon's Website had the Rezound marked down to $79.00 (and it's still selling for $199 at the Verizon store)...it quickly made the list of possible phones for me.

I considered the Nexus, Razr and the Droid 4 as well. Thought about waiting for the Galaxy S3 to come out...but I can't be a couple weeks without a phone...plus, I think the screen might be a hair too big for my taste...and by that time, the sale on the Rezound would be over and I'd have missed out on it. So I went to the Verizon store...tried them all out. Maybe I'm just used to the thicker Droid 2, but I'm not a huge fan of the really thin phones. The Razr was slick, but I like a little bit of meat on my phone.

A bunch of research later, I decided on the Rezound + the extended battery.
The Rezound seems to have equal or better specs than the others (decent cameras, screen resolution, processor, video, audio, etc.), plus it is only $79.

Should be here in a couple days. I'm pretty pumped.

And let me say that Verizon's $30 fee to upgrade is a complete joke. They flaunt a $30 discount to upgrade when you qualify, but then they wipe it out with a stupid $30 upgrade fee. You're f'ing buying the phone from them and signing on for another 2 years...and they tack on an extra $30?!?!? Horsesh*t I say.
Whatever. That's just annoying.

I hear rumors of ICS being available for Rezound any day now? Has anyone gotten it yet?

Last edited:
Welcome! You will be happy to know it is a pretty kick ass camera....not just decent. The others are decent, the Rezound is outstanding...as is the rest of the phone. ICS is coming soon OTA...likely no later than July, and you can get it sooner if you want to jump through some minor hoops.

As for the upgrade fee, I had to kick and scream to get them to waive it for me. Doubt it will work next time. Oh well, it IS the best network so they do have you by the cojones if you need the best.:happy3:

Congrats on your new phone. You're going to love it. And it is due for ICS very soon. I'm running the second leak now and it really is sweet. Your not going to believe how nice the Rezound is with it. I thought it was a great phone before but now there is nothing out there that I would rather have. ICS made that big of a differance. Go Launcher is smooth as butter on it too. Enjoy your new phone.

Congrats on your new phone. For $79 its a steal for that price. To be honest its the best all around phone that Verizon has to date. You made a good choice. I learned my lesson of being a early adopted phone. Will never do it again. Plus I love the Rezound radio. Where I live, our cell towers are not so great. Out of all the 4G phones that Verizon has the Rezound was the best to pick up a 4G signal and actually hold it. Have fun and enjoy it even more when ics comes out. Or you could just root it.

I was literally in just about the same boat you were. Instead of faulty buttons I had a faulty battery, but I jumped on the $80 upgrade and just got my phone in today! It's pretty amazing compared to the Droid 2 except for the lack of a physical keyboard, but the camera and speed of the phone totally make up for that. Glad to see I'm not the only one just upgrading to this phone!

I was literally in just about the same boat you were. Instead of faulty buttons I had a faulty battery, but I jumped on the $80 upgrade and just got my phone in today! It's pretty amazing compared to the Droid 2 except for the lack of a physical keyboard, but the camera and speed of the phone totally make up for that. Glad to see I'm not the only one just upgrading to this phone!

Nice. It's hard to pass up a phone like this for only $80...well, $110 after the stupid $30 upgrade fee.
Do you plan on getting the extended battery? I picked one up while they were on sale at verizonwireless.com. $30, which includes the back plate. Not bad.

I probably would be getting mine today, but when I was researching phones my Droid 2 miraculously fixed itself and was fine again...so I held off. Then, the next day it started acting up again, so I resumed the search. Mine is due to arrive on Wednesday.
I don't think I'll miss the physical keyboard. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love it...and if the Droid 4 had the specs of the Rezound, I'd be getting a Droid 4. But I'm sure I'll adjust rather quickly to the virtual keyboard.

I'm rather pumped about 4G. I did some speed tests at the Verizon store in town, and it was crazy fast. Something like 20mb down and 15mb up...and yes, I made sure WIFI was off. And I have unlimited data...so this is going to rock.
I live about 10 minutes from the Verizon store...so hopefully the 4G signal here is as strong. The coverage map says we are well within 4G range, so I should be fine.

Congrats in your new phone! You will love it. The rezound is a great phone, and in my opinion, the best one currently at Verizon.

Nice. It's hard to pass up a phone like this for only $80...well, $110 after the stupid $30 upgrade fee.
Do you plan on getting the extended battery? I picked one up while they were on sale at verizonwireless.com. $30, which includes the back plate. Not bad.

I probably would be getting mine today, but when I was researching phones my Droid 2 miraculously fixed itself and was fine again...so I held off. Then, the next day it started acting up again, so I resumed the search. Mine is due to arrive on Wednesday.
I don't think I'll miss the physical keyboard. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love it...and if the Droid 4 had the specs of the Rezound, I'd be getting a Droid 4. But I'm sure I'll adjust rather quickly to the virtual keyboard.

I'm rather pumped about 4G. I did some speed tests at the Verizon store in town, and it was crazy fast. Something like 20mb down and 15mb up...and yes, I made sure WIFI was off. And I have unlimited data...so this is going to rock.
I live about 10 minutes from the Verizon store...so hopefully the 4G signal here is as strong. The coverage map says we are well within 4G range, so I should be fine.

I'm gonna give the original battery a good test run before I buy an extended battery for now. I used it quite bit yesterday and it stayed in the green for a long time. It's hard to judge though due to the fact that my Droid 2 was losing charge like crazy near the end though. I'd love to find a good case with an extended battery built in though.

I just upgraded from D2 to Rezound also for many of the same reasons you mentioned. I originally got the D2 due to physical keyboard, but found that I rarely used it. Just got my Rezound yesterday, going to get it activated and start playing tonight.

Here are the cases and holster I use when I install my extended battery, the Verizon OEM case is great but the holster sucks "the clip on mine broke the second day I had it, got half my money back from the vendor, which was nice of them", but the great thing is the Verizon OEM case also works with the Seidio holster "I got the seidio holster case combo for the standard battery, remember the same holster works with the Verizon extended battery case, and the Diztronic extended TPU case", the Seidio case and holster are fantastic and the holster is build like a tank, used it before with my Incredible, and it is still beign use by my brother "past on the Incredible to him, no charge:biggrin:, here they are Amazon.com: Diztronic Matte Back Black Flexible EXTENDED BATTERY TPU Case for HTC Rezound (Verizon) [Diztronic Retail Packaging]: Cell Phones & Accessories OEM EXTENDED BATTERY SHELL HOLSTER COMBO CASE+KICK STAND for VZW HTC REZOUND 4G 825163760321 | eBay Amazon.com: Seidio BD2-HR3HTRZD-BK SURFACE Case and Holster Combo for HTC Rezound - Combo Pack - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I'm gonna give the original battery a good test run before I buy an extended battery for now. I used it quite bit yesterday and it stayed in the green for a long time. It's hard to judge though due to the fact that my Droid 2 was losing charge like crazy near the end though. I'd love to find a good case with an extended battery built in though.

Well, I think I'm spoiled. My D2 was/is holding a charge great.
On light use days, it will have 70-80% left in the evening. And on heavy use days, it might have 20-30% left at the end of the day.
Rarely do I need to plug it in during the day.

Well, I think I'm spoiled. My D2 was/is holding a charge great.
On light use days, it will have 70-80% left in the evening. And on heavy use days, it might have 20-30% left at the end of the day.
Rarely do I need to plug it in during the day.
Don't forget, the HTC Rezound runs a dual core processor, LTE, and has a 1280x720 at 720p and a 342ppi high resolution screen, a few of the things your Droid did not have, just the things I mentioned above will drain your battery faster. You want a high end smart phone it comes at a price.

Last edited:
Don't forget, the HTC Rezound runs a dual core processor, LTE, and has a 1280x720 at 720p and a 342ppi high resolution screen, a few of the things your Droid did not have, just the things I mentioned above will drain your battery faster. You want a high end smart phone it comes at a price.

Oh, I am well aware. I did a crap load of research before buying. I studied the specs of four phones I was interested in to death... read numerous professional reviews, user reviews, comparison articles, forum discussions, making a couple trips to the Verizon store to check them out in person, made my own pros & cons list, etc., etc.
My wife thought I was crazy. But it's a big deal to me since I hope to have this phone for at least the next two years. It's always going to be with me so I want to make sure I get the best phone for me.

I am aware of the battery life for a phone of this quality, which is why I got the extended battery to hopefully at least double the battery life.

Oh, I am well aware. I did a crap load of research before buying. I studied the specs of four phones I was interested in to death... read numerous professional reviews, user reviews, comparison articles, forum discussions, making a couple trips to the Verizon store to check them out in person, made my own pros & cons list, etc., etc.
My wife thought I was crazy. But it's a big deal to me since I hope to have this phone for at least the next two years. It's always going to be with me so I want to make sure I get the best phone for me.

I am aware of the battery life for a phone of this quality, which is why I got the extended battery to hopefully at least double the battery life.
Did you check out the cases and holster I posted in this thread.

I saw them.
I am picky on cases. I hate most of them...and this phone may be thick enough without the case. I had a case for my D2 for a while, and it was ok...but it tended to collect lint and dust under the case. I ended up going without it. I like it better without a case.
We'll see how it goes.
I have a Skinomi screen protector coming the day the phone arrives. That's all I may do.

I hear the Otterbox case will fit the phone with the extended battery if you separate the hard back shell from the rubber backing and put it back on without the hard back shell. That seems to be a nice alternative.
And it's cheaper too:
Amazon.com: Otterbox HTC Rezound Defender Case ::HTC Rezound: Cell Phones & Accessoriesf I get a case, I think I'd try that one.

Back