K9 mail vs the Bionic native email program

DogPaw

Reaction score
After days of having to clean out pop emails that show up on the Bionic even though I have it set to manually check these accounts I am considering switching to K9 email. Is anyone currently using this with the Bionic and if so what is your opinion of K9 vs stock email program?

After days of having to clean out pop emails that show up on the Bionic even though I have it set to manually check these accounts I am considering switching to K9 email. Is anyone currently using this with the Bionic and if so what is your opinion of K9 vs stock email program?

I used K-9 for a long time and liked it a lot better than the stock email program. But that was about 15-18 months ago. I switched to using Gmail app for everything. I have Google poll my pop3 accounts and push the emails to my phone. I love having all emails in one place and having them pushed instead of having to poll the accounts (saves battery). Here's how to do it, if you're interested: Using Gmail as your own personal push mail server |

I'm using K9 on my Bionic and loving it for the most part.
Except, if I set each email account's preferences to show an icon in the notification area if there's mail or not, I get an icon for each account that has mail.
This is pretty much useless as one can't see WHICH account actually has the mail if, for example, 3 accounts have new mails. In that case, I'll see 3 icons(which takes up space).
SO..... if that issue was fixed and just one notification icon will show combining a total number of new mails for all accounts, that'd be great. Though, it's a good program I think.

Can you run the stock email program and K9 at thye same time? If this is the case, I will download K9 and set up with one of my pop accounts and give it a try.

Can you run the stock email program and K9 at thye same time? If this is the case, I will download K9 and set up with one of my pop accounts and give it a try.

I think you can, but you might want to change the notification (or turn one off) just to keep them different. One thing I like about K9 is the ability to group delete. On my OG Droid I had over 30mb of deleted emails (just because they''re deleted doesn't mean they are gone from memory) which I would've had to delete one at a time with the native email. With K9 I just "Select All" and Delete.

The Bionic finally got "select all" added to the email for the delete all problem. The problem I am having with the Bionic is it still pulls email from the sever even though I set it to check manually. It sucks having to clear email off my PC and Bionic every day.

I solved that by settimg email to download on wi-fi only. I can still manually check when on a cell connection. I don't go to wi-fi that often, so that works well enough for me.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Back