Lollipop Forced Encryption Not Being Forced on OEMS

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Encryption-on-Android-5.0-Lollipop.jpg

Many continue to question why Google keep the Nexus program around even to the point of making zero profit to even taking a slight loss. Simple, if people are willing to pay money and beg to be a guinea pig why deny them. Companies need real world testing for their software and most of the time they have to hire people to do that. Since lollipop hit the nexus 6 one of the first things people changed about the software was forced encryption because, for some, it was not worth the performance hit. Google obviously keep enough tabs on the nexus community to separate the goods from the bad with their software and there was obviously enough bad buzz with forced encryption that they are willing to budge on allowing OEMS not to encrypt their devices. Out of the box I can see manufacturers encrypting phones but allowing users to remove encryption with out having to flash a custom boot. Be interesting to see if companies like Samsung will use this out to just build their own encryption on top of lollipop.
For those running lollipop is your device force encrypted or did you remove encryption?

Source: Google Will Not Require OEMs To Encrypt New Devices With Lollipop After All But Does Very Strongly Recommend It

With Google moving to launch its own service, Nova, I see this as definitely a testbed for how to work with that.

My encryption has been removed. Google have to find away to limit performance loss from encryption.

I wonder what the issue is? I encrypt my non-Nexus devices and they perform just fine.

Mine is encrypted, but not for long. I just found a method to unencrypt it using fastboot.

Tapped from a Nexus 6

If you have luck with that, can you share? I have mine done with the new boot.img, but am always open to new and better way to doing it.

If you have luck with that, can you share? I have mine done with the new boot.img, but am always open to new and better way to doing it.
That's how I plan on doing mine, by fastboot flashing a boot.img. So far that's the only method I saw that I was comfortable with. If I find another way, I'll post it

Tapped from a Nexus 6

Understood, that one worked fine for me.

Maybe Google will take all this in account for 5.1. Since they are admitting it effect performance then allow us to flip it on and off without having to flash a custom boot.img .

"Simple, if people are willing to pay money and beg to be a guinea pig why deny them."

That's a lame unfounded, unnecessary shot at those of us that own a Nexus.

Last edited:
Back