Longer than 30 Day Text (SMS/MMS) Message History?

willubmyknight

Reaction score
I was looking for a text message from a couple of months ago and noticed that my phone will only display 30 days worth - is there a setting I can change somewhere or is this standard?? And/or are there any apps to help with this?

You shouldn't be losing texts unless you have something set to manage them. I don't know if the stock app has a setting or not but the phone has settings to manage memory that will delete MMS & SMS. Check your app settings for something like expiration, archiving, or manage old messages. I've used Handcent and GoSMS, and have never had either delete anything on its own. Go will only show messages back to a point them there's a little tab that shows up when you've scrolled to the oldest message that asks if you want to load older messages. I'm guessing if it were something like that you would have seen it, or noticed a discrepancy between the conversation count and the actual number of messages displayed. If you don't find a setting in your app or the stock app that manages old messages you can check menu> settings> SD and Phone Storage> make more room (the second one near the bottom, I know right why are there two names the same thing?). If you hit next the second page is for managing SMS and MMS.

Don't know if this helps?

I noticed in the stock sms settings under general, there is an option that automatically starts to erase messages when it reaches the 200 limit if you have it checked. If u do then uncheck it.

When I check my settings under SMS->General, I did NOT have the "Delete Old Messages" setting checked, but the limits for TXT were 200 and MMS was at 20...I checked the option, and then changed TXT to 5000 (the limit), and MMS to 999 (the limit)...hopefully that works...just weird that it still used that limit even though I didn't have the option checked (I can only assume...we'll see!)

Thank you both for your input!!!

Thanks for the thoughts Vid...but I definitely have enough room, and there definitely was no other setting (besides the one I just posted about) that would limit or restrict the number of messages. Hopefully changing it the way I did fixes the issue :)

Back