Mobile Defense

dr.droid

Reaction score
Just wanted to give a heads up since these folks seem to be working hard to perfect their app for each network. I just downloaded Mobile Defense for my Droid and have been testing it out. I really like how it wakes the GPS and locates my phone. From there I can alert, lock or get a map location. I really appreciate how unobtrusive it is. It's not obvious, if lost or stolen, that Mobile Defense is working. The website setup is a snap and I was up and running in minutes. I feel more secure now, thanks Neevo, for a great product.

https://www.mobiledefense.com/

Mobile Defense (BETA) v1.2.1 Application for Android | Tools

^^^ Any idea how this compares to WaveSecure? I just downloaded and installed that yesterday. I don't have an issue making the jump though if this app is better.

Comments? Thoughts?

TIA

Edit:
****Looks like WaveSecure allows for data backup.****

Last edited:
I hoping they come out with something like this that doesn't use SMS.
I blocked all SMS messaging from my phone because I didn't want to pay for SMS SPAM I was receiving.

I blocked all SMS messaging from my phone because I didn't want to pay for SMS SPAM I was receiving.

Hi Tommyz,
You can install and activate WaveSecure without SMS as the client will fall back on data if it fails to activate via SMS. You can also perform features like backup from the client. However, server-activated commands like remote tracking and remote backup will not work as the client needs to receive commands via SMS.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
WaveSecure - Anti-theft and security software for Symbian, Android and Windows Mobile

Hi Tommyz,
You can install and activate WaveSecure without SMS as the client will fall back on data if it fails to activate via SMS. You can also perform features like backup from the client. However, server-activated commands like remote tracking and remote backup will not work as the client needs to receive commands via SMS.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
WaveSecure - Anti-theft and security software for Symbian, Android and Windows Mobile

Will the software ever work without SMS? I have no desire to pay for SMS, when I have internet access on the phone.

Will the software ever work without SMS? I have no desire to pay for SMS, when I have internet access on the phone.
So only use it if you lose your phone :huh:

The twenty cents for the SMS message to lock and get the GPS location of your phone once it is lost or stolen is cheap.

So only use it if you lose your phone :huh:

The twenty cents for the SMS message to lock and get the GPS location of your phone once it is lost or stolen is cheap.

The problem with Verizon's current SMS system is you can't whitelist messages from some good phone numbers. I started receiving SPAM SMS messages, so I had Verizon completely block SMS messages. I was unable to block them online, because they appeared to be coming from different phone numbers each time.

Until Verizon has a white list type system, I am keeping SMS blocked.:mad:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think WaveSecure enables your GPS.

I have Wave Secure now and when I login to the website and click to find the location of my phone, it is 1/4 mile off. Pretty neat, but not accurate if I lost or someone stole my phone.

I've just installed it. I have Lookout, which will locate your phone also. Interesting that this app has no icon as it's all done by the web.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think WaveSecure enables your GPS.

I have Wave Secure now and when I login to the website and click to find the location of my phone, it is 1/4 mile off. Pretty neat, but not accurate if I lost or someone stole my phone.

Hi schmaltzy,
WaveSecure uses GPS if it is available. Unfortunately, Android (1.5 onwards) doesn't allow apps to turn on GPS without user intervention. Of course, if we prompt the user to turn on GPS it defeats the whole purpose of silently tracking your phone.

WaveSecure on other platforms - Windows Mobile, BlackBerry and Symbian supports this.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

If you install the current version of Mobile Defense as a system app it can auto-enable Wireless/GPS location providers as needed and even prevent users from uninstalling the application.

Best Regards,

Ken Adair
Mobile Defense
https://www.mobiledefense.com

If you install the current version of Mobile Defense as a system app it can auto-enable Wireless/GPS location providers as needed and even prevent users from uninstalling the application.

Best Regards,

Ken Adair
Mobile Defense
https://www.mobiledefense.com

Ken, how do you install it "as a system app"? Does the phone have to be rooted?

Back