moto why the TI OMAP 4430 an not the TI OMAP 4460?

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
So i have been doing some research about the omap chipset in the droid bionic/razr/maxx/4 an whats disappointing is that they could have chosen a better chipset with high speeds an better performance. First of all the TI OMAP 4430 can only go up to 1Ghz so it says though we see the razr/maxx an droid 4 overclocked to 1.2 Ghz. But the TI OMAP 4460 clocks at 1.5 Ghz. Second of all the TI OMAP 4430 3D video performance is only 720p stereoscopic 3D where as the 4460 has a 1080p stereoscopic 3D video performance. Third of all TI OMAP 4430 has a imaging performance (per second) of 20 mp main camera an 5 mp stereo (dual cameras) where as the TI OMAP 4460 has an imaging performance of 20 mp main camera an 15 mp stereo (dual cameras) the the question is when they had a choice between the two which they did since they are in the same family an the 4460 was available as of Q1 of 2011 why didnt they go with the superior chipset cuz if they did the bionic would have had jet packs on it instead of wings so to speak an would have put every smartphone to shame when it came to processing speed an power (not display quality though).

Price probably. If the superior chepset cost too much then the phone would cost more and may turn people away from that phone.

It's like when you buy a computer. It may have been a great price, but the video card won't hold up to some games.

Probably because the 4460 wasn't available at the time the D3/Bionic/RAZR/Maxx/D4 were designed. The OMAP 4430 was available Q1 of 2011, the 4460 didn't come out until Q4. I believe the GNex was the first device to use it.

To design the Motorola OMAP devices around the 4460 would have meant a delay, probably AFTER the GNex was released.

If you really want to get jealous about mobile chipset specs, check out the OMAP 4470. 1.5-1.9GHz Cortex A9 dual cores, PowerVR SGX544 with dedicated 2D core, and 466MHz RAM.

Or, for even more drool-worthy specs, the upcoming OMAP 5 series. Those are 2GHz Cortex A15 dual cores, with 2 Cortex M4 cores for offload duties. Plus, PowerVR SGX544MP2 dual-core GPU @ 532MHz per core (with dedicated 2D core).

EDIT: At the time of the Droid 3's release (Moto's first OMAP4 device on Verizon), the OMAP 4340 was pretty much the highest performance dual-core chipset on the market. It is faster than the then-prevalent Tegra 2, and faster than the Snapdragon S3.

Dave12308 said:
Probably because the 4460 wasn't available at the time the D3/Bionic/RAZR/Maxx/D4 were designed. The OMAP 4430 was available Q1 of 2011, the 4460 didn't come out until Q4. I believe the GNex was the first device to use it.

To design the Motorola OMAP devices around the 4460 would have meant a delay, probably AFTER the GNex was released.

If you really want to get jealous about mobile chipset specs, check out the OMAP 4470. 1.5-1.9GHz Cortex A9 dual cores, PowerVR SGX544 with dedicated 2D core, and 466MHz RAM.

Or, for even more drool-worthy specs, the upcoming OMAP 5 series. Those are 2GHz Cortex A15 dual cores, with 2 Cortex M4 cores for offload duties. Plus, PowerVR SGX544MP2 dual-core GPU @ 532MHz per core (with dedicated 2D core).

EDIT: At the time of the Droid 3's release (Moto's first OMAP4 device on Verizon), the OMAP 4340 was pretty much the highest performance dual-core chipset on the market. It is faster than the then-prevalent Tegra 2, and faster than the Snapdragon S3.

Damn why doesnt moto jump on those bad boys cuz i mean it would bring alot of dissatisfied customers back especially since they finally jumpes on the full hd display band wagon

^^^^^^^^^^^ Well, the OMAP 5 isn't even available until Q3 of this year, so basically it isn't ready yet. I am not sure what their future plans are, though, as I understand it they are thinking of moving to the Intel Atom platform. It wouldn't surprise me if the next-gen Moto devices end up with "Intel Inside".

Dave12308 said:
^^^^^^^^^^^ Well, the OMAP 5 isn't even available until Q3 of this year, so basically it isn't ready yet. I am not sure what their future plans are, though, as I understand it they are thinking of moving to the Intel Atom platform. It wouldn't surprise me if the next-gen Moto devices end up with "Intel Inside".

Is the intel a better chipset?

I've had the 4430 and the 4460 and I'd bet the farm that no one would be able to tell any speed/performance difference!

I've had the 4430 and the 4460 and I'd bet the farm that no one would be able to tell any speed/performance difference!

I agree with this 100%.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

sargentmajord said:
Is the intel a better chipset?

IMHO, Intel is going to give these phones a new attitude.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!!

So i have been doing some research about the omap chipset in the droid bionic/razr/maxx/4 an whats disappointing is that they could have chosen a better chipset with high speeds an better performance. First of all the TI OMAP 4430 can only go up to 1Ghz so it says though we see the razr/maxx an droid 4 overclocked to 1.2 Ghz. But the TI OMAP 4460 clocks at 1.5 Ghz.

Actually the 4430 isn't overclocked in the RAZRs, it's running at 1.2GHz "Turbo" mode, an undocumented clock speed for 4430 chips tested at the factory to be stable at 1.2 GHz and run at normal temperatures. These chips are separated from the rest of the production run and sold at a premium with the 1.2 GHz "Turbo" identification.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 using Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

To me, this thread is useless. The title is akin to asking GM: "why, oh why GM, didn't you put an LS1 into the Cavalier? It's such a better motor." Every manufacturer isn't going to put the latest and greatest into their products or they would only have one product to sell. It's about making a tiered line of products available at multiple levels of cost.

I have the Bionic and it's pretty fast for my needs... Shadowgun is smooth, general operation is very smooth. No complaints from me. Plus Lte is blazing fast. If you want a fster phone, u may want to check out all the ones running snapdragon s4 chips with krait or quad core beasts like the SGS3 and international One X... Two phones in the future that look to be amazing are the Lg Eclipse 4G and HTC Zeta. Both are claimed to have really fast SOCs and the Lg has 2 GB Ram. Why u need all that power is beyond me however i can still relate. I say, the faster the better. The more powerful, the better! U never know what apps/games are gonna come out and its a good idea to future proof. That said, i think the Bionic is still a beast in its own right.

Back