Multiple Gmail Notifications?

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I am getting numerous gmail notifications. I have 2 accounts set up on my phone. One personal and one for work.
One icon is a dark gmail icon and the other is red gmail icon. I get notifications of both for each account.
This is an example of what I am talking about:

screenshot_02.jpg

The red gmail icon takes me to a combined inbox of all sms, email, & texts.
The dark icon just gives me my gmail.
I have looked and looked, but I do not see a way to turn off the notification icon for the combined inbox of sms, email, text, etc.
Can I get rid of the combined inbox?
I assume this is a Sense feature, because this wasn't on my D2...or at least I never saw it.
I'm just trying to remove unnecessary notifications. No sense in using the battery if I don't have to.
Or am I misunderstanding what this even is?
Thanks.

Attachments

• screenshot_02.jpg
    screenshot_02.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 366
Are you using the stock email app along with the separate Gmail App? And do you have "priority inbox" checked on the Gmail settings? Uncheck that ! That will give you 2 notifications!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Do not add the second gmail account via system settings. This somehow causes both the HTC mail app and the gmail mail app to both service the second gmail account.

This is what you should do:

Go into system settings and delete the second gmail account.

Next open the gmail app, and add the second gmail account via the settings in the gmail app.

Finally, go back into system settings and decide what items in the second gmail account you want synced and which you do not want synced. For example, you may not want calendar sync for this second gmail account.

This worked for me on ICS leak.

regards,
Howard

Do not add the second gmail account via system settings. This somehow causes both the HTC mail app and the gmail mail app to both service the second gmail account.

This is what you should do:

Go into system settings and delete the second gmail account.

Next open the gmail app, and add the second gmail account via the settings in the gmail app.

Finally, go back into system settings and decide what items in the second gmail account you want synced and which you do not want synced. For example, you may not want calendar sync for this second gmail account.

This worked for me on ICS leak.

regards,
Howard

Ok, did that.
Before adding it back in, I now have this in my accounts list...two accounts for the same gmail address. Should I delete one? If so, which one?
The 'g' gmail icon seems to be the one I should keep, as that seems to have all of the gmail services that sync on my phone (Gmail, picasa, drive, Play Music, Google+, calendar, etc.)
The red gmail icon doesn't seem to have anything under it that syncs, except for "Mail".
Do I need both?

screenshot_04.jpg

BTW...just added the 2nd gmail account back in and it did not add a red gmail icon under accounts...and that red icon didn't appear in the notifcations bar either, just the black gmail icon...so I guess that's good.

I would delete all accounts with your second gmail account.

Then add the second gmail address using the Gmail app.

In my phone I have three gmail accounts, they all have the blue and white G next to them, and none have the Gmail icon next to them.

Keep in mind that I am using the latest stock ICS leak.

What does everyone else have? Does everyone have multiple account icons (one black and one red) showing up for the same gmail account?

I went ahead and removed the other gmail account with the red icon and left the black google one. So now I have two black 'g' icon google accounts (one for each email address I have set up) and no red icon gmail accounts under Accounts and Sync.
Seems to be fine. We'll see how the notifications & syncing go.

I would delete all accounts with your second gmail account.

Then add the second gmail address using the Gmail app.

In my phone I have three gmail accounts, they all have the blue and white G next to them, and none have the Gmail icon next to them.

Keep in mind that I am using the latest stock ICS leak.
That's what I ended up doing...but I also went ahead and deleted my main gmail account (red icon), leaving only the main google account (black icon). Then I added the 2nd google account under the main gmail account.

Confusing. But it seems to be fine.

It sounds like you got it setup and working well.

My ending result is I use the gmail email app for reading emails from any of the three gmail accounts. there is a pulldown menu to switch between gmail email accounts.

The regular email app is for use with a totally different email account that uses pop and smtp servers.

Under phone settings, the only mention of the three gmail accounts is one account per gmail account with the blue & white g icon next to them. none have the red white Gmail email icon, and none have the regular email icon.

BTW, one gmail is the main account for the phone with full syncing. The other two gmail accounts are only for email purposes, and they are set to only sync email.

hope this is clearer,

Howard

p.s. I have a total if five email accounts on my phone. three gmail, one yahoo, and one regular pop3. Sounds like too many.

Back