Navigation won't use bluetooth?

GregSr

Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post. My wife and I gave each other a new Motorola Droid for Christmas. Neither one of us can figure out how to make the navigator talk through the Bluetooth earpiece.

The Bluetooth works normally when making and receiving phone calls. But, while driving down the road using Navigator, the turn by turn commands come through the Droid speaker. We have not been able to find any setting that enables the Navigator to communicate with the Bluetooth ear piece.

Are we overlooking something or is this issue normal for the Droid?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Greg in California

Don't think it's capable of doing that. Like most GPS devices it will speak through the speakerphone on the unit.

Navigator won't use Bluetooth?

Thanks for the feedback. We assumed the Droid would speak through the Bluetooth ear piece during navigation because my wife's previous Verizon phone did.

Her Verizon phone was the "LG Dare" and it had VZ Navigator. It required a monthly subscription fee of about $10. It didn't have the nice graphics and mapping of the Droid but it would give turn by turn instructions through the Bluetooth headset.

It seems strange that the Droid does not provide this simple feature. Could there be another GPS app that could be downloaded to the Droid that would use the Bluetooth headset?

Last edited:
I suspect this has something to do with the type of bluetooth headset/type of bluetooth connection. There are headsets (typically 1 ear/mono) meant for phone only, and there are stereo headsets meant for listening to music. If the bluetooth connection is for phone/speakerphone, then only phone conversations will be routed to the headset. If the connection is for full audio, then I imagine it should play everything through the headset. If your headset is full stereo audio, go into settings and check what kind of bluetooth connection is established to the headset -- you might need to delete and repair it with the stereo profile.

I think Srothkin hit the nail on the head. I have a Jabra SP700 bluetooth speaker, and all the prompts for the navigation plays through it because it has a AD2P profile as it can rebroadcast audio via a fm transmitter to the car radio.

My Motorola H17txt Bleutooth earpiece paired with Droid X plays google Navigator and music but does not play VZ Navigator through earpiece.

Back