Need advice on a new tv

ShowTime

Reaction score
I've been wanting a nice lcd flat panel for a while now but never really had the money or need (I have lived alone in small apartments for the last few years) to get one. But my gf and I are getting a new, much bigger apartment, come summer, and I finally have a little extra money saved, so it's time to start shopping (I've also started shopping for the right tv stand... she's an interior designer and wants to make sure the style/color I pick will go with whatever she has planned for the room :icon_rolleyes:, so I have to start early).

As to my decision... I'm looking in the 32"-37" range. I guess my biggest question is, with this size, is spending extra for 1080p worth it, or are these screens small enough that it's not going to offer me anything noticeably better than 720p? Also, a couple of my friends have bigger tvs with only 60Hz refresh rates, and while I'd like to go 120Hz, I think their tvs look just fine while watching. Does the size of tv I'm looking at have any bearing on whether spending more for 120Hz is worth it as well (I don't think so but might as well ask)?

1080 p's is definately worth it. I would say to get a samsung led tv but those get pretty expensive. I would say buy a samsung because they have a really good picture and last a long time.
Good Luck.

I suggest getting the March 2010 issue of Consumer Reports. Lots of good information on TVs there.

1080 p's is definately worth it. I would say to get a samsung led tv but those get pretty expensive. I would say buy a samsung because they have a really good picture and last a long time.
Good Luck.

Samsung+++++
They are GREAT and near bullet proof. Best bang for the $$, IMHO. The 1080p is nice but not a deal breaker. Unless you're watching Blue-Rays or HD sources (gaming) most sources (including 95% of all cable/sat HDTV) won't utilize it. So take size and brand of the 1080p if it comes down to that.

FYI despite what most people will tell you in 'blind tests' very few people people can distinguish between 720 and 1080 and a great 720p source will produce a better picture than a crapy 1080p source on the same set/TV.

Good Luck.
I've kind of decided, based mostly on my realistic budget, to pass on led and on 240Hz

FYI despite what most people will tell you in 'blind tests' very few people people can distinguish between 720 and 1080 and a great 720p source will produce a better picture than a crapy 1080p source on the same set/TV.
My friend has a 42" with 720p and, coming from standard def my whole life, it blows me away every time. Since we never have a 1080p sitting next to a 720p, even though I've seen both, I can never really tell any difference. It'd mostly be just getting 1080p just to have it.

to be honest, unless you have a 50" or maybe even 46", you will not see any benefits on going to 1080p as well as 120hz. Save the money and get the 720p 60hz. However, I do think for 50"+ tv's, 1080p is well worth it as well as 120hz (especially for sports). It makes me more 3d like to me. 240hz I think it's just marketing, but then again that's just me.

I have a 42" Samsung 720p (plasma) and it is absolutely beautiful. Just know that the electronics store crank all the tv's up to max brightness, so don't base your decision off of how it looks in the store.

My next tv is going to be a Samsung 9000 series 55". Google it. WOW

Back