New Droid App Bundle

kabingo

Reaction score
So I got the Droid last night and spent the better part of my time becoming acquainted with it. Stumbled across these forums, which have been a big help! =)

My question is, what do you recommend as 5 (or so) must have apps for the beginning Droid user that deal with the functionality of the phone, not really a "stand-alone" application?

I downloaded, played with, and ultimately deleted a number of applications, and I'm starting to understand some categories of apps that deal with the functionality of the phone, such as handcent, which is an sms app, and Dolphin HD, a browser app, and UI (Theme) apps etc, as opposed to lets say, a calculator app (which doesn't really deal with the functionality -- is more "stand alone").

So right now I am using:

Handcent (SMS application that replaces the stock Messaging app that comes with the phone)

Dolphin HD (Browser Application, replaces stock browser)

And I think that's it in that department. I'm very satisfied with Dolphin HD, but I am wanting to see if there is a different SMS application to try other than handcent.

What else do you recommend for the beginning Droid user in terms of replacing existing applications on the phone?

Also, I downloaded Helix to try, and was not able to understand what it allowed you to do moreso than the standard UI, or in place of the standard UI, and wondered about opinions in this department regarding Helix, or why even go with a program like Helix.

Thanks =)

*in regards to Helix I think my lack of understanding of this application has to do with my own lack of knowledge on the standard UI. To date, I know that there is a home screen, with a left and right screen attached, and then the widget menu which you can pull across and access. Is there a resource about the actual standard UI somewhere online?

Helix is a "home replacement" app, meaning it can be used to completely replace the stock home screen with it's own screens. There are two big differences between the stock home and Helix:
1. Up to 7 home screens (instead of the standard 3)
2. The ability to put apps in the bottom row of the screen (next to the app drawer). Say you put the dialer and browser into that bar. Those can be launched from any screen without needing to open the app drawer.

A couple of apps that would add functionality would be Barcode Scanner. This will allow you to go to sites like Androlib.com and scan the QR code to link you to the Android Market.

Another would be Apps Organizer. It works like the folder where you can put several apps into a single space. For example, make one called "Tools" and stick any apps directly connected with the phone's functionality.

My 5 must have apps:

Tapatalk Pro
Dolphin HD
Pure Calendar Widget
Wixel (game)
Zedge
Google Voice
WeatherBug

Ok, I know, that was 7. Kill me. :p

First you need to root your phone. it makes it awesome and way more customizable. then you need setcpu (makes the droid way faster). Opera mini (way faster internet). Ringdroid ( make your own ringtone). historyEraser ( erases all history, not sure if you have to be rooted to use). and Beautiful widgets ( just plain cool weather, date, and time widget)

obviously everyone has different needs but these are simple apps that make things easier and are simple

Note everything
advanced task killer
weather channel
camera zoom fx
astrid task manager

Back