New here.. SD Card question

jeff5347

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
just joined the forum but i have had my Droid X for a couple months. I looked on the site but couldnt see any posts that related to my problem. Ill try to make this short and sweet.
My droid is has the GB 596 root. Added all the stuff needed like z4, bootstrapper and such. Now the phone came with a 2g MSDC and it was getting filled up with pics music and such. So being a noob on SD cards i went on Ebay and bought a 16GB card. Now i am unable to transfer anything to the card from the PC (transferred all my blur and such but seems not want to transfer media..pics, music, video, pdf). With the 2gb card i could drag and drop and the stuff was on my phone. Now i drag and drop, the PC shows it on my phone but once i disconnect its nowhere to be found. SO now i find myself having to email everything i want to my phone.
The SD card says Micro SD,HC, 16GB, SDC6/16gb Japan and it has the number 6 in a circle.
Not sure it matters but the back of the card says BFHCTD3FTP and underneath T3F112201.
Just wondering if the card is a junk card thats why i cant transfer stuff or what. Oh i did format it in the droid before i started to try to transfer of my media.

Thanks for any help given,
Jeff

Last edited:
That does sound like it a cheap immatation card, but it should work. Are you keeping the folder format when you copy? I have a micro sd to SD adaptor so I always pull the card out of my phone and plug into my laptop. I copy the entire SD card to my laptop, then put the new micro sd card into my DX (your 16gb) and format it. Then copy the entire folder structure from the 2gb card onto the 16gb and you should be able to see everything.

Welcome to the forum. Try to reformat the card and verify it's capacity.

My first guess is that you got a 2GB card with a 16GB label on it. That's what happens when you buy cheap memory - that kind of snakery is everywhere. It confirms the copy to the card but the data doesn't really appear. Anything higher than 2GB that gets "copied" to the card simply drifts off into oblivion. The file table on the card, according to Windows, contains all the files, so all is good right? nope.

Otherwise, it may have to do with the size of the transfer. If you're using Windows 2000, or you've tweaked a USB drive setting in XP, you have to right-click that safely remove hardware icon in your taskbar and "safely remove" your phone before it ever copies the data over. I don't know why it would work fine with your 2G card and not with your 16G card, aside from the aforementioned possible issue.

The OP states he formatted the card. He also states he transferred "blur" which I don't understand since the PC doesn't pick up the internal storage when the device is plugged in.

Are you changing from USB mass storage mode before disconnecting?

I just tested on mine, and I left it on USB mass storage before disconnecting. It took about 2 minutes for the SD card to remount automatically.

basically what i did was took all the info..everything and transferred or copied it from the orig 2g car and copied to my pc. I dont have an sd reader so it is just by the droid in the usb. Once all the info was transferred to the pc i took the 2gb card out, put hte 16gb and yes it shows on my phone i have roughly 15.3gb left unused. I formatted the 16gb card and went ahead and transferred the copied info from the pc to the new 16gb card. most stuff transferred..minus my vids, music pics and such. I swappedthe cards in and out umpteen times and finnally got the pics over to it and then most of the music.
But i had one song i wanted to transfer yesterday and it would not have it. So i had to email it but it wont save it to the phone i have to preview it thru the email. Also tried to transfer 12 pdf files at about 300mb total and it wouldnt let me do it. So i started emailing them ( way time consuming) and only 1/4 would be able to be saved. So should i save all the info on the 16gb and re-format it and try again. Any hints or ideas on how i should go about it so it will take the info. Like i said somethings transfer which makes me think it is not a totally bad card.

Sounds to me like you need to return it and get a replacement. You shouldn't be having problems like that.

I replaced my 2GB card with a 16GB too. All I did was copy all of the folders on my SD card over to my PC, then replace it with the new one, then copy them all back using the phone. I had no problems at all.

Card is junk. Buy one from a seller that has more than 50 sales. Look for someone that has like 10000 sales. Return the card and try to get your refund. You can also try to download SD card speed increase. It helps the transfer rate between your phone and the card. That might help.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Sorry to jump in here, but I am also wanting to change my 2gb card to a 16gb. The 2gb card is about 90% full. Just want to clarify, I just need to copy the entire 2gb card to my PC and then paste it to the new 16gb card? When I turn on the phone with the new 16gb card installed will it be up and running, or do I need to do something more? Thanks for any clarifications.

Sorry to jump in here, but I am also wanting to change my 2gb card to a 16gb. The 2gb card is about 90% full. Just want to clarify, I just need to copy the entire 2gb card to my PC and then paste it to the new 16gb card? When I turn on the phone with the new 16gb card installed will it be up and running, or do I need to do something more? Thanks for any clarifications.

1. Copy entire 2gb to your pc.
2. Insert the 16gb into your phone and allow it to be formatted properly.
3. Copy the entire folder structure from the 2gb saved on your oc to the 16gb card

Nope. Don't buy it on eBay. Buy it from a reputable retailer, like Amazon.com. You can get one for less than $20, and if it's bad, you can get it exchanged easily.

Amazon has some great deals on SD cards. I bought an 8gb class 4 Kingston sd for $10 a few weeks ago.
I got a better deal on Amazon than Ebay. But, you can use Ebay just make sure there is a return policy, its a seller with lots of feedback, and make sure you buy a NAME BRAND card such as Kingston, Sandisk, PNY.

1. Copy entire 2gb to your pc.
2. Insert the 16gb into your phone and allow it to be formatted properly.
3. Copy the entire folder structure from the 2gb saved on your oc to the 16gb card

Thanks. Will it format the 16gb card automatically?

Yeah, you shouldn't need to do anything. If you have a microSD->SD converter (comes w/ most microSD cards) and an SD card reader, you can do it with your PC.

1. Copy contents of 2GB card to PC
2. Copy contents of 2GB card from PC to 16GB card

no formatting required.

Back