No-ads script?

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Forgive me if my search efforts failed me, but is there a no-ads script for 0.7.0?

Forgive me if my search efforts failed me, but is there a no-ads script for 0.7.0?

adblock (turns ads on or off in the browser/apps)

is listed on the main wiki.

I also have used the app Ad Free across all ROM's....easier than messing with the scripts

adblock (turns ads on or off in the browser/apps) is listed on the main wiki.

I also have used the app Ad Free across all ROM's....easier than messing with the scripts

sigh *hides in shame* . thanks. and thanks for the tip on ad free.

"messing" with scripts? You type "adblock on". Doesn't get any simpler than that.

"messing" with scripts? You type "adblock on". Doesn't get any simpler than that.

lol.... not that it isn't simple . Since some ROM's have different scripts for ad blocking it's easier than remembering which ROM's use which commands.

or it's just my noobness that likes apps.....

Let me first apologize to cvpcs if this is inappropriate, but there is an easier way to do this across the various roms. I don not know the origin of the cvpcs script, but several of the other makers can be traced to the original XDA post. In this, all that is needed is to copy the lengthy host file to system/etc to break ads. This is a file named "host" which when opened reveals thousands of url's that will be blocked. I keep a copy on my sd card, and place a native file with no url's. When trying a new rom, I just copy the file to system/etc. I have not tired editing the file to add more url's, but I think it can be done. This way you do not have to stress over whether the adblock can be turned on or off, or the script name. It is very easy to do, inmho, makes you a better end user and in the end takes some of the weight off the dev's to do everything for us.

And again, cvpcs, I would not have posted this if your rom was the only one doing blockads. It is pretty common across the roms, so I don't think I am stealing anyone's thunder.

Craig

Let me first apologize to cvpcs if this is inappropriate, but there is an easier way to do this across the various roms. I don not know the origin of the cvpcs script, but several of the other makers can be traced to the original XDA post. In this, all that is needed is to copy the lengthy host file to system/etc to break ads. This is a file named "host" which when opened reveals thousands of url's that will be blocked. I keep a copy on my sd card, and place a native file with no url's. When trying a new rom, I just copy the file to system/etc. I have not tired editing the file to add more url's, but I think it can be done. This way you do not have to stress over whether the adblock can be turned on or off, or the script name. It is very easy to do, inmho, makes you a better end user and in the end takes some of the weight off the dev's to do everything for us.

And again, cvpcs, I would not have posted this if your rom was the only one doing blockads. It is pretty common across the roms, so I don't think I am stealing anyone's thunder.

Craig

I have used block ads scripts on bugless and UD so sapphire is not the only one using scripts.

Craig

I have used block ads scripts on bugless and UD so sapphire is not the only one using scripts.
I thought that was his point...

but I don't think typing 10 letters in terminal is particularly difficult to get rid of the ads

Oops must have read his post wrong.. The problem with looking at 3 sites at the same time.. But your right, it's not hard. I am currently learning how to develop apps for android and will be working on putting together a UI that will run the scripts for you :), I just need to sit down and read the obscene amount of info on the developer site.

Craig

in all honesty, that is exactly how the adblock script works. adblock on simply copies the blocking hostfile to system/etc and adblock off replaces it with a non-blocking one. i do prefer my blocking host file over some, as most i have seen redirect the urls to be blocked to "127.0.0.1", which will work, but 127.0.0.1 is the loopback address, so a connection will be attempted that will timeout. My file uses 0.0.0.0, which is a null address and returns a failure immediately. It's a minor performance enhancement that is probably not even noticeable, but it may make a difference.

cvps,

Yup, you nailed that one. The XDA script does use 127. I thought my post might help the adventurous among us who might want to add new urls from their bookmarks, where appropriate. Should have guessed you would tweak it and perhaps make it just a little better.

Ad blocking, imho, on wireless is almost a must, especially now that we all have flash to hog even more bandwidth:)

Thanks,

Craig

Back