NO Root For Note 5 or Galaxy S6 Edge + EVER! Thanks To Knox!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

In a push to make their devices more secure for Enterprise use Samsung has built a feature into Knox for AT&T and Verizon devices that will brick your device if rooted. The new feature is called Root of Trust. Once the device has detected root your phone will shut down and will not power back on. You more than likely would not even be able to flash a stock image to restore the device.

The reasoning behind this is to make Samsung devices more Enterprise friendly. The question remains why is this feature only baked in to the Verizon and AT&T variants? Is this done at the carriers request?

This will more than likely be a huge deterrent for would be root devs. Where there is a will there is a way, but you should consider that the Note 4 took 6 months to finally find temp root, and permanent root is only available for the Note 4 on KitKat. If you are looking to buy a Note 5 from Verizon or AT&T buy it with the expectation that it will not be rooted.

via idigitaltimes

Ahhh some dev is going to see this as a challenge.

My have times changed.... an article like this 2-3 years ago would have resulted in mass emails, tweets, and complaints from the community.

Now, people are like...ehhh Im over my root phase anyway.

This is such a HUGE blow to the background and spirit to the AOSP and idea of Android. I can't believe Google isn't stepping in and doing something...

Puts a lot of us in a huge tight spot who want to stay on the feature train of Samsung but are now sacrificing root...

Myself I really don't miss it other than for ad block and deleting bloat ware entirely but for someone to tell me I can't do something with the phone I am paying FULL price for really rubs me the wrong way.

However now I have to look into this permanent root on kitkat and debate on going back.......

Note 4tified

Yeah I figured it would be locked down. I'm giving the S6 edge plus a look see as stock.. Hold on to it for a bit... But my Nexus won't be far from reach... Nexus FTW!

NexusSix

With phones like nexuses and one plus selling cheap I can see people just picking up one of those to play with and having samsung as the go-to.

This is why I stopped buying Samdung (pun intended) devices after they pushed KNOX to my S4 without warning.
How many would accept a PC that would only run Windows and would brick if you tried to install Linux? That is what this is. Not everyone wants enterprise security on their phones. But AT&T and Verizon want this. It allows them to control hardware that you buy. Without root they can push any bloat and crap to your phone and you can do nothing about it.

Just say no to Samdung and KNOX!!!!

Considering unlocking and rooting your device is legal, I can't see how this won't backfire on Samsung. Especially if someone buys their phone outright.

This is why I stopped buying Samdung (pun intended) devices after they pushed KNOX to my S4 without warning.
How many would accept a PC that would only run Windows and would brick if you tried to install Linux? That is what this is. Not everyone wants enterprise security on their phones. But AT&T and Verizon want this. It allows them to control hardware that you buy. Without root they can push any bloat and crap to your phone and you can do nothing about it.

Just say no to Samdung and KNOX!!!!

Except you may want to get ready to add your complaints to the Google line once you get done with the Samsung line. Google has been slowly doing the same thing even with their software (boot no-encrypt). Enterprises are where the money is at and as much as I am a big supporter of rooting I know that the reality is that less and less people are grumbling about these issues any more. On my Nexus 6 I am rooted with Superuser disabled (for Android Pay) and frankly there are few apps on my device that I need it on for.

I am not saying get rid of root but the market have given us a fair share of devices to develop on and because of that I am not going to demand Samsung allow me to root their phones. As I said years ago when we were signing petitions, just give us options to buy phones to root and I'll consider that a compromise. If you look around at phones like the new Moto X pure, Nexus 5 & 6, One Plus, and international devices, we have a fair share of device that we can go crazy on.

Reactions: cr6
With phones like nexuses and one plus selling cheap I can see people just picking up one of those to play with and having samsung as the go-to.
Yup! Always have that option in the back pocket.. I'm totally happy with a Nexus as the daily.. . I was going to pick up unlocked or t-mobile s6 but I know these phones don't make it long with me and just wanted to test drive one..Haha..

NexusSix

Speaking of where the money is at. I work for AT&T who employs over 300,000 people. We all have iphones! I actually have an iphone and ipad. Can you imagine if they could convince companies like AT&T to switch to Android what kind of shift in the market share they would have.

Speaking of where the money is at. I work for AT&T who employs over 300,000 people. We all have iphones! I actually have an iphone and ipad. Can you imagine if they could convince companies like AT&T to switch to Android what kind of shift in the market share they would have.
It's where Samsung wants to be.. Enterprise and secure for the share.. Just like the old Blackberry.. And taking some IPhone share... IMO we want root look at Nexus.. HTC and Motorola.. Unlocked from other brands... Plenty for all...

NexusSix

Reactions: cr6
Considering unlocking and rooting your device is legal, I can't see how this won't backfire on Samsung. Especially if someone buys their phone outright.

Because the number of the mob of people that would storm the tower have slowly dwindled.

The responses when moto told a customer to buy elsewhere saw a community do just that and changed Motorola forever.

Motorola Tells Customers to "Buy Elsewhere" if They Want Custom Roms
Motorola Tells Customer to "Buy Elsewhere" if They Want Custom ROMs | Droid Life

Now Samsung is basically doing the same thing and I am betting the responses will not be no where near as damaging.

Ahhh some dev is going to see this as a challenge.

My have times changed.... an article like this 2-3 years ago would have resulted in mass emails, tweets, and complaints from the community.

Now, people are like...ehhh Im over my root phase anyway.

Actually, I've been over Samsung and their foolishness since the S4. My last three phones (OPO, Moto X, N6) have made me far happier in every way than I was, at any time, with any Samsung device. Too many choices now-a-days to feel as if you have to deal with those cats.

I have the Note 4, and I follow it closely. As of now, there is NO permenant root, only temp. The Developer version is the only one to have perm root, because of its unlocked bootloader.

I wish the Note 4 had perm root, but I honestly don't see it happening. So it looks like I'm going to move to the new Nexus 6, or the Moto X Pure.

Back