NVIDIA and Epic Show Off Unreal Engine 4 Demo on Kepler-Based Tegra K1 Mobile Chipset

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
unreal-4-logo.jpg

As you can see from the video below, NVIDIA is very serious about trumping the competition with impressive mobile gaming technology. The makers of the new Kepler-based Tegra K1 chipset have teamed up with the game developer Epic to show off a mobile version of the Unreal Engine 4 and the results are amazing. This new and much more powerful GPU technology for mobile will go a long way toward squeezing the differences between mobile gaming and desktop gaming. NVIDIA's plan is not just to blur the line between mobile gaming and PC/desktop gaming, but to completely eradicate it.

[video=youtube;GkJ5PupShfk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkJ5PupShfk[/video]​

As fast as they are improving the technology, it might just surprise us how quickly they can make that happen. After-all, the idea of 192-cores in a mobile GPU would have been unheard of just 3-4 years ago.

So if I buy a Tegra 4 device now, it won't have this shader and advanced technology that I see now with the K1. Also, if I buy a K1 device, it won't have the technology that will be present in Tegra 5 6 months from now.

I think Tegra should take a page from Google and Apple and develop devices once a year, using the newest technology. Example: the Tegra 3 Tablet 2012, Tegra 4 Tablet 2013, Tegra 5 Tablet 2014, etc. Releasing new technology so quickly only angers consumers, especially if I'd just bought a Tegra 4 tablet for 299, and surprise a month later the newest one is available for the same price, and now I cannot play games optimized for the newest tech.

I think their NEXT processor, after this K1 promises to be even more powerful - the one the CEO referenced a few years ago that would be 100X more powerful than anything currently on the market and put mobile on par with laptops and desktops.

Truly amazing...the realism is awe inspiring. All the lighting, reflections and shading being completely dynamic and life-like are incredible. The full perspective based angles and curves changing with real-world accuracy is just shocking. I can see this technology not only applying to gaming, but also to real-world purposes such as home demonstrations. I am in the Real Estate world securing mortgages for home purchases. One of the fastest growing markets is construction/rehabilitation mortgages (203k and Conventional Rehab loans), where the lender actually lends not only on the purchase price, but also on the cost to perform the necessary renovations.

One of the difficulties in selling homes that need rehabilitation is envisioning what the newly renovated home will look like when you walk through it. Sure, you can look at pictures of the appliances and fixtures, and even pictures of mock-ups of the rooms, but to be able to actually do a walk-through of the completed project before the renovation has even been started would be tremendously valuable. In many cases, it could be the difference between selling the home at the asking price, or not selling - or having to drop the price even lower than fair market value just to motivate the buyer to take the plunge.

Doing this on the phone could enable a Realtor to walk through rooms, taking a video...then through the software converting that video to an empty-room video with nothing but bare walls floors and ceilings, then dropping in the changes, removing/moving walls, doors, etc., adding new appliances, counter tops, cabinets, flooring and fixtures, and recreating that video with all the changes, even adding in decor to give it a real lived-in feel. This could change the real estate industry.

Cool! I was hoping for an Unreal Engine to bolt up to my Infinite Improbability Drive. : )

Skip on buying a Tegra anything. They are big on promises. Well, they kind of blew things with the Tegra 2 mess. Just wait for the latest Qualcomm... If will match what ever the latest Tegra is doing AND include LTE lol.

Truly amazing...the realism is awe inspiring. All the lighting, reflections and shading being completely dynamic and life-like are incredible. The full perspective based angles and curves changing with real-world accuracy is just shocking. I can see this technology not only applying to gaming, but also to real-world purposes such as home demonstrations. I am in the Real Estate world securing mortgages for home purchases. One of the fastest growing markets is construction/rehabilitation mortgages (203k and Conventional Rehab loans), where the lender actually lends not only on the purchase price, but also on the cost to perform the necessary renovations.

One of the difficulties in selling homes that need rehabilitation is envisioning what the newly renovated home will look like when you walk through it. Sure, you can look at pictures of the appliances and fixtures, and even pictures of mock-ups of the rooms, but to be able to actually do a walk-through of the completed project before the renovation has even been started would be tremendously valuable. In many cases, it could be the difference between selling the home at the asking price, or not selling - or having to drop the price even lower than fair market value just to motivate the buyer to take the plunge.

Doing this on the phone could enable a Realtor to walk through rooms, taking a video...then through the software converting that video to an empty-room video with nothing but bare walls floors and ceilings, then dropping in the changes, removing/moving walls, doors, etc., adding new appliances, counter tops, cabinets, flooring and fixtures, and recreating that video with all the changes, even adding in decor to give it a real lived-in feel. This could change the real estate industry.

Funny, just a couple weeks ago I mentioned being able to do VR for Real Estate in a live, immersive application which would allow you to demonstrate what an empty house would look like, full of furniture and decorations. Well, today I came across this!

Cimagine introduces true markerless augmented reality system

[video=youtube;H2VFSo6y6A4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=H2VFSo6y6A4[/video]

This is totally cool in that you can actually walk right up to the "furniture" and "see it in full 2d over 3d" (I coined that phrase and you heard it first on DroidForums.net from me). Imagine a Realtor trying to impress a buyer that the home they're standing in could be their dream home! I can see a plethora of applications for this technology! Bring it on!!

Still a bottle neck between RAM requirements and our awful battery technology. "ALL OF THIS CAN HAPPEN. except it won't for a very long time."

Still a bottle neck between RAM requirements and our awful battery technology. "ALL OF THIS CAN HAPPEN. except it won't for a very long time."

Battery life isn't really an issue. At least it shouldn't be. If you're spending hours and hours playing games on your phone, you can probably afford to stay close to a wall outlet.

I like Nvidia and I like their mobile chips. The problem is that they just don't compare to Qualcomm when it comes to raw processing power.

Also I suspect Qualcomm pads their own numbers quite a bit since they have such a large investment in CDMA network technologies.

Sent from CAMACHO, my Verizon G2 (VS980) running PAC ROM 4.3.

Yeah, the major battery drain continues to be the display - up to 80% when the display is on. What that means is if you get 4 hours of battery with the display on, you get 20+ hours with the display off.

My Rezound is 2 years old, so my original battery is maybe 80% (or less) of its original capacity, but I get 2-5 hours of display time depending on what I'm doing. IMO, 4 hours is the minimally acceptable standard and I don't really understand why we can't get 8+ on a smartphone (maybe the newer phones with larger batteries can).

RAM is not the issue, and the "4k" displays coming out only compound the problem. If I could custom build my phone, I'd strongly consider a 720p display which I feel is more than sufficient for screens <5 inches. I know some people claim to be able to tell a difference, but I suspect that has more to do with brightness, contrast and available colors.

Or just make the darn phones a couple mm thicker so you can accomodate a larger battery (and sd card!). I have no need for a phone so thin it gives me paper cuts.

Back