Nvidia Road-Map Leak Indicates Tegra 3 will be a 1.5GHz Quad-Core Chip!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nvidia-tegra-roadmap-2011.jpg

Our sister-site at Android.net just posted some pretty incredible news regarding the Nvidia Tegra 3 chip that is set to be showcased at Mobile World Congress next month. Previous speculation in the industry indicated the Tegra 3 might be an 'enhanced' dual-core chip, with the Tegra 4 coming about a year later sporting quad-core technology. Apparently, Nvidia has been busy, and they want to shower us with techno-affection; the above leaked road-map pic from Nvidia indicates that the Tegra 3, which is scheduled to start shipping to phone manufacturers in the fall of 2011, is actually a 1.5GHz quad-core CPU! What can be said? Simply. Incredible. Here are some of the Tegra 3 details:
  • Quad 1.5 GHz cores
  • 3x faster graphics
  • Ultra low power CPU mode
  • Support for Blu-ray video
  • Display resolutions up to 1920×1200
As you can see in the pic, Tegra 3 churns through data at about 13800 MIPS. That's 3x faster than Tegra 2!

If Nvidia can hold this pace, then the Tegra 4 could be simply ridiculous. It looks like this year and 2012 will be exciting years for Android phones!

Source: Android.net

What the hell? I'm still sporting a freaking Samsung Omnia because I keep waiting to upgrade to the next generation and just before I do, something like this comes out.

Seriously, what's next? They've caught up to the desktop in 2 years. I don't even have a quad core in my home computer yet.

I'm rockin my D2 and very pleased but can't believe quad core is comin out only got a dual in my home computer. The generation of tegra technology is gonna be a huge leap in phones i believe. Plus thats gonna be a 6GHz core if you combine all 4 processors! I would love to get my hands on this phone or be even luckier and be the one to test it out haha. I am thinkin the price is gonna be high tho. Its beggining to be shocking what these companies can fit in such a little device. Keep up the good work whoever is devloping Tegra technology

The specs quoted are for the tablet version of the chipset, not the phone version. As it shows they aren't 100% sure if the phone version is dual or quad yet.

Read the bottom values only for phones.

that's just sick!! even if the phone chips are only dual core, a 2 x 1.5 ghz will smoke! looks like i won't be jumping at the Bionic just yet... :)

Things are shaping up to be very interesting over the next few years. I guess I may have to go ahead and get a Tegra 2 in July, so that my next upgrade can be a Tegra 4.

that's just sick!! even if the phone chips are only dual core, a 2 x 1.5 ghz will smoke! looks like i won't be jumping at the Bionic just yet... :)

If you going to wait for that, then you might as well wait for the new technology you hear about when your about to buy one with a tegra 3, at this point waiting for the latest and greatest will never happen, as soon as one is about to come out, one with double power will only be months away from that, and so on and so forth.

I see less and less point in upgrading to have a "state of the art" phone when it is outdone before it comes out.

You are exactly right. And truth be told, it doesn't seem like there's much difference between tegra 2 and tegra 2.5 either.

What the hell? I'm still sporting a freaking Samsung Omnia

I'm so sorry to hear that...you have my condolences....

But yea, we cant wait for the next best cuz you will be waiting forever. Me, I will be at 1 year into a 2 year contract in April of this year. With my next phone it will be 1 year contracts from now on.

And to think when the Fascinate came out is when I started regretting having a 2 year contract...lol

Bionic or wait? Its good to have choices and truth be told buying a Tegra 2 device would be a great buy but theres always that feeling of "wait just a bit longer" I'm somewhere in between right now.

Droid--->ether--->this thread

Bionic or wait? Its good to have choices and truth be told buying a Tegra 2 device would be a great buy but theres always that feeling of "wait just a bit longer" I'm somewhere in between right now.

1 Remember, you will definitly be able to OC your bionic to 1.5 ghz
2 Tegra 3 isn't going into production until Q4 not counting the time it will take to plan and test a device (they don't do this until the silicon has actualy gone into production) which brings up to about mid Q2 2012. Thats almost a year and 1/2 away if your being speedy and by then, you'll only be 2 months away from your next upgrade. Don't worry, your covered.

2 Tegra 3 isn't going into production until Q4 not counting the time it will take to plan and test a device (they don't do this until the silicon has actualy gone into production) which brings up to about mid Q2 2012. Thats almost a year and 1/2 away if your being speedy and by then, you'll only be 2 months away from your next upgrade. Don't worry, your covered.

im still a bit shaky with BL and overclocking... i was under the impression that with a locked bootloader you wouldnt be able to flash a custom kernel, and therefore wouldnt be able to overclock?

I'm really not concerned with OC'ing these chips to be perfectly honest. I think they will be plenty fast enough. OC'ing one of these chips is like strapping a rocket to my car when all of my driving is in the city : )

My biggest "concern" right now is that there is another Moto device (unannounced) that is supposedly going to be running stock android and with Moto's retraction of the bootloader there is a slight possibility this device may be unlocked. Longshot yes. Possibility? You bet.....

Back