OK, is this the way??

jimisbell

Reaction score
I have been rooting through (pun intended) all these forums and trying to get the lay of the land before starting. I DON'T want to brick the phone.

It looks like the order of business is:

1) root the phone
2) burn a new ROM
3) Theme the thing.

So if that is right I have a few questions before I start.

1.) I can see that there are several ROM versions available for that job, but what I dont see are any comparisons or descriptions of what they contain and why they are desirable. Are they all just to have different eye candy, or do they do things that the original didnt do? If the latter, what do they do? Why do I want them?

2.) Just exactly what does a "Theme" include/cover?

3.) Is it possible to completely reverse the above order and get COMPLETELY back to "stock"?

I have been rooting through (pun intended) all these forums and trying to get the lay of the land before starting. I DON'T want to brick the phone.

1) root the phone
2) burn a new ROM
3) Theme the thing.

1.) I can see that there are several ROM versions available for that job, but what I dont see are any comparisons or descriptions of what they contain and why they are desirable. Are they all just to have different eye candy, or do they do things that the original didnt do? If the latter, what do they do? Why do I want them?

3.) Is it possible to completely reverse the above order and get COMPLETELY back to "stock"?

If you are interested in just theming, you would be better off downloading ADW and applying a theme to customize your user experince. It is a lot less involved than Rooting, Custom ROM and Theme.

With the X there is no real "ROM" perse as with the Original Droid and other HTC Androids because of the locked bootloader. The ROMs you see in the ROM section are an attempt to customize the settings of the /system directory of Android. Because the Kernel cannot be customized, there are no real intense benefits of any ROM.

Honestly, I have tried a few of the ROMs and there are little things here and there that make each less desirable. If you want some customization and less headaches I would advise downloading ADW and find a Theme you like. If you are still looking for more, you can root and use one of the customizing apps like JRummy's Overclocker app on the Market, which also has some build.prop tweaks that will enhance the Droid X Experience.

Before you start rooting, I would advise finding and securing a copy of the 2.2 SBF and RSD Lite, along with some directions (Google it, cannot post links or files here). The SBF and RSDLite will enable you to revert the phone back to stock and save it from being a brick.

Good Luck and have some fun.

dancedroid

1) root the phone
2) burn a new ROM
3) Theme the thing.

1st things 1st. After you root your phone, get an app called "Droid X Bootstrap Recovery" and make a nandroid backup. I personally think this app is a must have and worth the money. This will ensure you the security of getting your phone back to the way it was before you started customizing it.

2nd. A Theme overlays the look of your phone by placing a color(theme) over the widgets, icons and the pull down blind to your task bar. A Theme changes the plain look that VZ and Motorola set you up with, example is in my signature below. Themes call for you to have your phone deodexed. Some Themes do it for you like the one I'm using. Or you can read up how to do it yourself manually.

3rd. ROM's are all different. Get use to the terms so you can understand what has been left out or left in by the developer of the ROM. I read for almost 2 months before installing my 1st ROM. Take your time on it. The most important thing was mentioned first, your backup.

Hope this helps a smidge:)

Last edited:
Well, I forged ahead before getting these two messages and I seem to be doing OK so far.

I got Titanium Backup loaded and it informed me that I needed to root the phone before Titanium could do the back up. So I backed up one step and loaded the Z4root App and pressed the button.... After about an hour I got a message that I needed BusyBox. So I backed up one step again and found and installed BusyBox. Then Z4root continued on and then Titanium gave me a message that it really didnt like the BusyBox that I had installed and asked if it could install a better one. I agreed and then it continued to install. Then I used Titanium to do a backup. So thats where I am now.

But, I dont have the foggiest idea where the back up is!

And I havent done of the suggestions in the above two posts yet. That is next.

But I think I am rooted and backed up.

Last edited:
Well, I forged ahead before getting these two messages and I seem to be doing OK so far.

I got Titanium Backup loaded and it informed me that I needed to root the phone before Titanium could do the back up. So I backed up one step and loaded the Z4root App and pressed the button.... After about an hour I got a message that I needed BusyBox. So I backed up one step again and found and installed BusyBox. Then Z4root continued on and then Titanium gave me a message that it really didnt like the BusyBox that I had installed and asked if it could install a better one. I agreed and then it continued to install. Then I used Titanium to do a backup. So thats where I am now.

But, I dont have the foggiest idea where the back up is!

And I havent done of the suggestions in the above two posts yet. That is next.

But I think I am rooted and backed up.

I can tell you right now your not really backed up. Your apps and some setting's may be due to Titanium BU. But a true nandroid (ROM) backup is done by using Droid X Bootstrap Recovery or ROM Manager.

And you will know if your rooted by a root friendly app asking for Super User permission. You will have to allow it.

Yes, Titanium asked for root status when it did the backup and it was granted automatically.

Ti will not back up your system, just your apps and settings. While those are very important to back up - and the most convenient easy way to bring back everything once you change ROMs since you should wipe data/cache when you do - you need to do a full nandroid backup of the system.

You accomplish that by the steps laid out by the posters above, via Clockwork Recovery through ROM Manager or the Droid X Bootstrapper.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

You accomplish that by the steps laid out by the posters above, via Clockwork Recovery through ROM Manager or the Droid X Bootstrapper.

OK, I am going at this slow because the last thing I want is a mistake that leaves the phone in limbo.

It appears that there are two ways mentioned in the above posts to accomplish the backup. One uses Droid X Bootstrap Recovery ($2) and the other uses ROM Manager ($0) which in turn installs Clockwork Recovery.

I have elected to use the ROM Manager route and it then installed the Clockwork Recovery and then I did the backup of the current ROM which I named "Stock ROM". I didnt like the number name that it presented as I know that tomorrow I would not remember what it was. Now, several questions:

1) Where is that backup or do I even need to know since there is a recovery button which I suppose will offer me a menu of the ROMs that it has a backup copy of?

2) By renaming the backup did I cause any problems?

3) Do I really have a backup now?

4) If I recover the stock ROM in anticipation of some Verizon visit, how do I un Root the phone after recovering the stock ROM?

OK, I am going at this slow because the last thing I want is a mistake that leaves the phone in limbo.

It appears that there are two ways mentioned in the above posts to accomplish the backup. One uses Droid X Bootstrap Recovery ($2) and the other uses ROM Manager ($0) which in turn installs Clockwork Recovery.

I have elected to use the ROM Manager route and it then installed the Clockwork Recovery and then I did the backup of the current ROM which I named "Stock ROM". I didnt like the number name that it presented as I know that tomorrow I would not remember what it was. Now, several questions:

1) Where is that backup or do I even need to know since there is a recovery button which I suppose will offer me a menu of the ROMs that it has a backup copy of?

2) By renaming the backup did I cause any problems?

3) Do I really have a backup now?

4) If I recover the stock ROM in anticipation of some Verizon visit, how do I un Root the phone after recovering the stock ROM?

1) You can get to your backup through ROM Manager.

2) No you didn't mess anything up by renaming it. I always leave a date in there so I know.

3) Yes you do really have a backup. The best file manager out there is Root Explorer, I suggest investing in it. And moving your backup to the root of your SD card.

4) You will have to look through the threads to unroot your phone.

Thanks guys/gals You saved me a lot of worry as I worked through it.

Now to spend some time studying the various ROMs to see if I really need one.

If you are still looking for more, you can root and use one of the customizing apps like JRummy's Overclocker app on the Market, which also has some build.prop tweaks that will enhance the Droid X Experience.
dancedroid

I did that and have it overclocked at 300 low and 1300 high but I am wondering if overclocking will have a negative effect on the discharge rate of the battery?

Also, where is a good place to find information on the uses of all the other options in that App?

Back