OMG What did I do to my Droid!? (HELP!)

Smitty258

Reaction score
After Manually installing the FRG01B official Froyo build, and being REALLY disappointed with it's horrible battery life and constant audio glitches. I made the decision to finally root my phone.

So I purchase Easy Root, run it, and then Got ROM Manager.

I hear so many great things about Sapphire 1.0 so I pick it out from the list of available Roms in rom manager and download it and start the install.

Everything seemed to work great. I got to the boot up animation with the glistening sapphire and it seems to be stuck! I let it run for over 20 mins before I pulled the battery and I'm trying it again. It's been 10 mins now and still nothing!

If I can get Sapphire running that would be great, but right now I'll settle for having a working phone! I did a backup under CMRecovery before installing Sapphire.

I'm new to this whole rooting thing so go easy on me! I need my Droid back!

Pull battery, hold down power button and 'x' simultaneously to boot into recovery. Restore your backup. Then try downloading sapphire from the main sapphire site, and install base + gapps manually.

Also, make sure to wipe data and cache before installing sapphire.

It's very possible that the stock kernel that comes with Sapphire might not be the right one for your phone. I had a similar problem with it staying on the boot screen forever. I also had constant reboots.
I flashed another kernel and all was good.

Look on this page for additional kernels
releases:sapphire-1.0.0 [CVPCS Sapphire Wiki]

That's where I got mine from and it fixed my issues.

did you try a hard boot into recovery? hold down the "x" on the physical keyboard, hit power until the Moto "M" shows up, and then keep holding "x" until you're booted into recovery. then do wipe/factory reset and wipe cache (some people recommend 3 wipes of each); and then flash the rom zip.

So to manually do the Sapphire, I download it from their site, rename it "update.zip" then run it in recovery mode? Just like I did with the manual froyo update?

How about adding the Google Apps back?

with CWM recovery, you don't need to rename it to "update.zip", but you can...

If you're using clockwork recovery no need to rename files.

OK. I got Sapphire up and running. I just need the google apps. How do I apply them?

OK. I got it. Installed google apps zip under Clockwork Recovery. Thanks for all your help!

Now hopefully I can get a full days worth of use out of the battery and the audio glitches will be no more!

Back