on barcode apps.... can this be done?

cyber3dx

Reaction score
Is there software that will allow me to create barcodes for the boxes in my storage and using the Droid scan these barcodes to kick back a list of what I have in each box?

I use both MAC and PCs.

All the software I am finding on the net do not allow me to associate a list of items to a barcode.

I use QR Droid for all my qr code needs. It has a very comprehensive qr code generator that use to generate a qr code that will refer back to text. That wold probably do what you needed it to.

tappin and a talkin

It has to be a pretty short list to embed into a barcode... IIRC you are limited to something like 256 characters

That's one thing I found out.

So, I was wondering if there is a bar-code generating program (PC or MAC or Android) that is cheap/free that will allow me to create an inventory list of items and associate that list with a particular bar-code. Then I can scan the bar-code on the box and know what's in it.

There must be something like this - somewhere.

I'm not familiar with bar-code systems for sure. But, warehouses must have something like that. You know, bar-codes on bins so you can scan the bin and a list of items from the database pops up.

Anyone with a lot of junk in boxes sure could use this. And I have a lot of junk.

A simple system that would work for home is to have the lists in a text document on a local web server (..there are many that are free and easy to set up), you could then put a local web address for that document in to the bar code. As long as you are connected to your local wifi network the barcode would pull up the document called the the URL

...I suppose you could probably do this via google docs as well; make a QR code that links to a list, spreadsheet, etc on google docs... no local server web server needed then. :)

...here you go... a qrcode that links to a google docs spreadsheet:

img.php

(created online with http://qrcode.kaywa.com/)

:icon_ banana:

Last edited:
travisn000, thanks for tip. I tried it out and while it works as you describe it just doesn't accomplish my goals. The URL points to an entire spreadsheet where I need it to point to a simple and specific list - one that I can edit on the fly. You know, it's pretty cool though and I'm going to use it else where. Thanks.

hi there
i have seen a new application called barcode2sql at app store
its free to download also payed version.
for more information check barcode2sql.com ;)

Actually the large QR codes can store up to 4096 characters, so that could be a rather extensive list.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back