OTA GB Root problems

xrob513z

Reaction score
Hey guys, so im trying to root my Droid X thats running the OTA 2.3.3 gingerbread update and im not having any luck. I was rooted before on froyo and on the leaked GB .596. Now i read that previously rooted DX phones would be difficult, but I've done pretty much everything that was said to and still no root. Anyways so I run the one click and I always get put into recovery mode, so i tried this
When I ran the script, each time it rebooted the phone it would boot into the bootloader and nothing else would happen.

I read that some folks had success when they were in my situation (stuck in bootloader) I had to disconnect and reboot the phone myself manually between each of the three steps in the script that was supposed to automatically reboot the phone for me. So basically each time the script rebooted the phone into the bootloader I unplugged the usb cable, then rebooted the phone, then waited for the phone to finish booting up, then unlock the screen, and finally reconnect the usb cable. The script would see that the phone was connected again and it would continue on.
and that doesnt work. it never reboots 3 times, even if I don't unplug the phone. So then I tried doing this Pete's DROID 3 Page from the Droid X notes and cant get that to work either. I'm just stuck, and any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Edit: even tried doing the Droid 3/Windows XP one click like suggest in the link, said everything went fine, but still no root. Im at a loss.

Last edited:
You need to physically unplug your phone, turn it off, power back on and plug it in when it gets to the boot animation. Do this when the exploit says your phone will reboot and you shall have root! :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Also, you have the correct drivers? What operating system are you running? Really verify you followed all instructions the exploit gives you.

If that still doesn't work try booting to stock recovery and wipe it clean, sbf to froyo and do ota update and try the exploit again.

I used the exploit to root my phone and it worked great so something has to be getting missed.

Yea I have the drivers all the threads had links to download from (5.2.0 ?) and im running windows vista.
but i definitely think im missing something somewhere. also every time i restart my phone (not just with this) i boot into recovery mode for some reason. so im thinking ill just have to sbf back to froyo. I was just trying to avoid that if i could.

In the long run you will end up saving time sbfing anyways, ya know? Sometimes its not even worth messing with :)

Ditto. The sbf should go without a hitch. You have the right Motorola drivers already...there is plenty of links for the sbf back to froyo. Sbf, Reactivate, update to gb, then do the one click root. An hour? Two maybe if you're hunting for files.

From what I read you need to be completely stock and if you were running rooted froyo and took the ota to gb you will run into problems using the one click method.

The two options you have is to run a script in the adb shell (I'll try and find a link to the page) or sbf to either froyo or .596 and then ota to .602.

BTW, I was stock .602 and never went to the bootloader. I rebooted fine all 3 times.

I sbfd back to froyo and took the OTA from there.

Back