Problems Updating BB v1.1

jadams7469

Reaction score
I have a rooted A855 running BB 1.1. I am getting the OTA to go from ESE81 to FRG01B. Consequently, it is burning up the battery, plus I want to get to 2.2. The problem I have is this, when I try to flash another ROm based on 2.2, it always hangs on the Motorola logo. I can go back to BB 1.1 w/o any problem and even earlier versions.

Anyone have any idea what may be going on? I got this phone off of e-Bay and didn't know it was rooted until I had it for a while. Could there be a hardware issue? I don't know, just guessing. One strange thing that I noticed happening is that I cannot do a backup with SPR or CLockwork. So when I flash back to BB1.1. I have to start all over again.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

John in PA

Thanks,

Yeah, I am out of date, its a long story. I would like to stay with BB, getting to the latest version V0.6.2.1. Whatever guidance you can give would be great. I am at a loss, I have tried flashing various custom ROMS and they all hang on the Motorola logo. I even tried using RSD Lite, same problem. But like I said, I can always go back to BB 1.1.

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

Thanks,

John

Are you wiping between ROM flashes? Moving from 1.1 to .6.2.1 is moving from one version of Android to another -- Eclair to FroYo -- so you HAVE to wipe.

Not certain I know what is stock and what is not. Here is the kernel version currently on the phone - 2.6.29-omap-bekit-0.8.3-stock
bkriebel @ ubuntu#1.

The baseband is C_01.43.01P

As an FYI, I got this phone off of eBay to replace my stock Droid that I dropped in the ...er... sink, yeah thats right the sink. After I had the phone activated I noticed the poor battery performance. I did some research and discovered that it was in fact rooted.

So, I know very little about the history of the phone, other than I am the second owner and the guy I bought it from disavowed any knowledge of it being rooted. Why didnt I send it back? I had already started playing around with the ROMs when I got stuck, so it would have been my word against his.

Anyway, I have the phone back to the way it was when I got and it is activated. Let me know if there are any other details you may need.

John

Okay, if you haven't messed with the kernel then you're probably running the stock kernel.

Question. Do you want it rooted or would stock be fine? Do you have anything on there you HAVE to keep?

Which ever process is the easiest to do. I like the custom ROM aspect, but if every upgrade is going to be a pain, maybe I should just go stock.

I don't have anything that I have to save that is not on my SD card or that I can't re-download from the Market. I have invested a few bucks in ROM Manager but that doesn't matter at this point.

John

You were using ROM Mangler. I understand every last part of your update woes. You need say no more.

Okay, do me a favor and boot into recovery. Tell me what you see. If you've done this manually today already you can skip this step and just tell me if it's Clockwork, SPRecovery, or Stock recovery. :)

At the moment it is Clockwork. But it came loaded with SPRecovery. I have used bothwith similar results.

I can use ROM Manager to flash SPR, but sounds like you would not advise that.

Actually, I would, but right now I'm thinking wipe everything out and start over. We can try that, use SPR to manually install a ROM, try to force an update, or any number of things. I'd advocate using SPRecovery to try to install a specific ROM or saving time, saying screw it, and just wiping the whole thing out and starting over.

OK, lets wipe everything and start from scratch then. Just tell me what I need to do.

I have the latest SBF file for SPR. Is that the best way to do this?

You need a full sbf. I'll link you after I get home. :)

This came from my brain by way of my finger and my phone. Don't ask where any of them have been. Especially the brain.

Thanks, In hope the SBF works. I haven't had any luck with except for loading SPR.

John

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Back