Razr: Locked bootloader per Verizon's request

jcardona1

Reaction score
Doesn't look too good for our Nexus if that's the case :(

Motorola Confirms Our Suspicions, DROID RAZR Will Have A Locked Bootloader - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

RAZRBootloader2.png

After Motorola’s DROID RAZR announcement this morning, users took to Twitter with a pocketful of questions. A user by the name of @Eldorath reached out to Moto about the RAZR’s bootloader and was lucky enough to get a response. Unfortunately, as we suspected the RAZR will indeed have a locked bootloader at the request of Verizon.

While the phone is definitely slick and sleek – will this change your attitude towards it?

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the d3s bootloader locked when it was released as well?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the d3s bootloader locked when it was released as well?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

The D3s bootloader is still locked. Having an unlocked bootloader means no need for bootstraps and gives the ability to install custom kernels and additional modding

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

The NEXUS will NOT be locked down. It's a Google phone. They call the shots not Samsung or Verizon.

if i may ask a dumb question...?...with the locked bootloader will i still be able to force an os update instead of waiting for it to come ota..?..on my og droid, the last few updates i did on my own..with some help from some very patient forum members....thanks..

Assuming root and recovery can be attained on the Razr then yes you will be able to easily install leaks.

MPs means very little. The Samsung with a 5mp rear will take better pics than an 8 or 10mp camera because it has a better lens (which is really what matters)

Assuming root and recovery can be attained on the Razr then yes you will be able to easily install leaks.

MPs means very little. The Samsung with a 5mp rear will take better pics than an 8 or 10mp camera because it has a better lens (which is really what matters)

will i have to root in order to do this...??...thanks..

will i have to root in order to do this...??...thanks..

Probably not. With Moto phones you can only use the stock recovery to flash officially signed (by Moto) update.zips, so any official update can be pulled and installed.

so. a locked bootloader, and no ability to do a battery pull? this is NOT the phone to have if loading custom roms is an every other day thing! lol..has anyone gotten any word on a way to do a reset on this razr incase of a lockup situation?

I was looking at this phone.. dont like the no battery pull, but really dont like not having a sd card on nex.. but this just did me in.. locked phone is a dealbraker for me

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Back