Razr maxx durabilty and case questions

mod381

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am new here and have a few questions. I just got a razr maxx phone and so far the battery is great and 4G is fast but the phone itself is big. I have been reading on how the screens crack if stressed from being in a pocket. I always carry my phone in front pocket and I am wondering if this is a isolated issure or not? I was looking at getting a trident kraken case but that looks like it adds quite a bit of size to phone. I am wondering if I should keep this phone or take it back for something smaller because it will almost always be in my pocket and a belt clip holder is not really a option for me. Thanks

I carry mine in front LOOSE pockets, but ya if you sit down and it gets pressured I wouldn't have too much faith in a thin piece of glass. Probably won't be an issue, but that's not to say it couldn't happen. If I was that worried about it, I'd buy a cheap case/holster :)

Also welcome to the MAXX club :)

mod381 said:
Hi everyone I am new here and have a few questions. I just got a razr maxx phone and so far the battery is great and 4G is fast but the phone itself is big. I have been reading on how the screens crack if stressed from being in a pocket. I always carry my phone in front pocket and I am wondering if this is a isolated issure or not? I was looking at getting a trident kraken case but that looks like it adds quite a bit of size to phone. I am wondering if I should keep this phone or take it back for something smaller because it will almost always be in my pocket and a belt clip holder is not really a option for me. Thanks

What's your history with phones??? Are you rough on them??? Do you have insurance on your device???

I run all of my devices in otterbox defenders. Just because I want that added protection. That's just me.

Think about it.... a device this thin gives up quite a bit in structural rigidity.

Want to see how its put together??? Go on you tube and search for videos where they take them apart.....

That being said.... I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it....

This is just my opinion though.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

I always carry mine in my left front pocket. Always. Holsters and belt clips just look ridiculous to me. No offense to the holsters and belt clip crowd. ;) I have mine in the Diztronic case (which I can't recommend highly enough if you want decent protection with minimal added bulk) with a screen protector. I also go without a case on many occasions. I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I don't think what you're referring to is a widespread problem. But of course, as has already been said, if you put a lot of pressure on it, it could crack. But that's the case for many phones.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it...unless you always wear skinny jeans...but then you should probably be more worried about the fact that you're always wearing skinny jeans. :)

Baahahahahahaha... nice comment about the skinny jeans lmao...

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

I can't stand holsters or clips either and almost always carry my phone in my front pocket, but they are loose. Mrs. Trash Can likes to carry hers in her rear pocket. I've been warning her that it's not a good idea, but so far so good. Both of us have the Otterbox Commuter.

Trash Can said:
I can't stand holsters or clips either and almost always carry my phone in my front pocket, but they are loose. Mrs. Trash Can likes to carry hers in her rear pocket. I've been warning her that it's not a good idea, but so far so good. Both of us have the Otterbox Commuter.

I didn't mention, I never use my clip.....

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Thanks for the replies. NO skinny jeans for me. My history on phones is so so. I try to be gentile but I do work in a shop so stuff does happen. I am just concerned because while searching for a case I have come across quite a few complaints of the screen just cracking from the inside on this phone. I go bike riding,snowmobiling etc so phone is in my front pocket and probably will get flexed some due to its size. That is why the belt clip is not a option because I want to be able to just put in my pocket and go. I am strongly considering returning it because of number of complaints I have read but it would be a shame because the battery is great.

mod381 said:
Thanks for the replies. NO skinny jeans for me. My history on phones is so so. I try to be gentile but I do work in a shop so stuff does happen. I am just concerned because while searching for a case I have come across quite a few complaints of the screen just cracking from the inside on this phone. I go bike riding,snowmobiling etc so phone is in my front pocket and probably will get flexed some due to its size. That is why the belt clip is not a option because I want to be able to just put in my pocket and go. I am strongly considering returning it because of number of complaints I have read but it would be a shame because the battery is great.

The cracking isn't all that common. Just a thought... for all of the posts you see about the screen cracking, there are alot more that haven't cracked.

For exercise, you might think of an arm band to hold the phone. That's what I do when i run....well did. I decided that I didn't want to sweat the phone to death.

I'm considering a moto active for myself and the wife.... but I'm not sure yet.

There are people that do just shove these phones in their front pockets with no problems... then others have them break when they look at them..... I'm exaggerating..... but I think the strength of this device is relative....

A person who is gentle may think its strong, an active person may think its a little fragile... a carpenter may think its a terrible hammer..... so the decision lies with you...

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

The cracking isn't all that common. Just a thought... for all of the posts you see about the screen cracking, there are alot more that haven't cracked.

Exactly. Like with most anything, it's a minority of people that have problems, and of course they're going to be the most vocal. No one thinks to go online and say "This phone is great because it hasn't broken under the pressure of being in my pocket!" That's the sort of thing you don't expect to happen, so if it does, you're likely to make your issue known. If it was a widespread problem, many more people would be talking about it. I frequent several of the more popular tech forums, and I've seen very few instances of it. And in most of the situation I've read about, I'd say there was often quite a bit of user error involved as well. I really don't think it's a problem to be worried about.

I'm considering a moto active for myself and the wife.... but I'm not sure yet.

Not to get too far off track here, but I've got to give a major plug for the MotoACTV. I'm continually amazed by how much the device is capable of doing. And Motorola keeps updating it, adding new features and extending the battery life even further. It's been one of most pleasantly surprising purchases I've made in a long time. I very highly recommend it.

bsweetness said:
Exactly. Like with most anything, it's a minority of people that have problems, and of course they're going to be the most vocal. No one thinks to go online and say "This phone is great because it hasn't broken under the pressure of being in my pocket!" That's the sort of thing you don't expect to happen, so if it does, you're likely to make your issue known. If it was a widespread problem, many more people would be talking about it. I frequent several of the more popular tech forums, and I've seen very few instances of it. And in most of the situation I've read about, I'd say there was often quite a bit of user error involved as well. I really don't think it's a problem to be worried about.

Not to get too far off track here, but I've got to give a major plug for the MotoACTV. I'm continually amazed by how much the device is capable of doing. And Motorola keeps updating it, adding new features and extending the battery life even further. It's been one of most pleasantly surprising purchases I've made in a long time. I very highly recommend it.

Thanx for the tip...ordering 2 now. One other question....can you can use it separately from your phone and just sync your data to it from your workout/run/walk?

p.s. is that a jackelope on you avatar pic????

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Thanx for the tip...ordering 2 now. One other question....can you can use it separately from your phone and just sync your data to it from your workout/run/walk?

p.s. is that a jackelope on you avatar pic????

Ha, ha. Yep. A frolicking jackalope. They're quite elusive out there in the wild.

Yes, you can absolutely use the MotoACTV without a phone. I actually don't use my phone with it at all. The main reason for syncing with a phone would be so that you could see text messages and answer calls through the MotoACTV if your phone is nearby. When I use mine, I'm typically out for a run or in the gym, and in those situations, I don't keep my phone with me (it's too much of a hassle, and there are too many ways it can be damaged). All of your data syncs to the MotoACTV website, so after getting everything set up initially, you can sync your workout information from the device to the site using the WiFi on the device itself (or through hooking it up to a computer via a microUSB cable if you don't have WiFi). You can then download your workout data to the MotoACTV app on your phone if you wish. I use the app on my MAXX occasionally to look at previous or upcoming workouts, but that's about it. Pretty much everything I use is on the device itself, or I go through the website. The website is very well done and has a lot of features. It will even give you a run down of the songs you listened during a workout - when you listened to them, how many calories you burned during them, and how far/fast you ran while they were playing (if running) - in an effort to build a playlist made up of songs that you seem to work harder to. It's pretty cool to look at the map of a run after I've uploaded the data and see a sudden spike in my speed and realize that a Slipknot song was playing then. Ha, ha. Motorola has really impressed me all the way around with this device and the effort they've put into supporting it.

And, in an attempt to bring this post somewhat back on topic, the MotoACTV is built like a tank. Quality metal and a Gorilla Glass screen. It's also water resistant. It can put up with quite a beating. It might be a good option for the OP in the bike riding/snowmobiling situations. Get some Bluetooth headphones (I have some, and I love them for running and working out with the MotoACTV), sync up the MotoACTV, stick the MAXX in a small Otterbox (one of the actual waterproof/crushproof boxes they make, not a case), stuff it in a bag or pocket somewhere, and then head on out. You'll be able to read text messages and answer all of your calls through the MotoACTV device. Even if you didn't want the headphones for answering calls or music, you could still see text messages and see incoming calls. Come to think of it, I might start doing that myself in situations where I might fear for the safety of my MAXX.

I always carry mine in my left front pocket. Always. Holsters and belt clips just look ridiculous to me. No offense to the holsters and belt clip crowd. ;) I have mine in the Diztronic case (which I can't recommend highly enough if you want decent protection with minimal added bulk) with a screen protector. I also go without a case on many occasions. I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I don't think what you're referring to is a widespread problem. But of course, as has already been said, if you put a lot of pressure on it, it could crack. But that's the case for many phones.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it...unless you always wear skinny jeans...but then you should probably be more worried about the fact that you're always wearing skinny jeans. :)

Classic comment and yes...he should be more worried about the skinny jeans.

X'2 on the diztronic case. I also have the otter computer incase i need added protection....depending on circumstance. But from normal daily work and activities diztronic is spot on!

bsweetness said:
Ha, ha. Yep. A frolicking jackalope. They're quite elusive out there in the wild.

Yes, you can absolutely use the MotoACTV without a phone. I actually don't use my phone with it at all. The main reason for syncing with a phone would be so that you could see text messages and answer calls through the MotoACTV if your phone is nearby. When I use mine, I'm typically out for a run or in the gym, and in those situations, I don't keep my phone with me (it's too much of a hassle, and there are too many ways it can be damaged). All of your data syncs to the MotoACTV website, so after getting everything set up initially, you can sync your workout information from the device to the site using the WiFi on the device itself (or through hooking it up to a computer via a microUSB cable if you don't have WiFi). You can then download your workout data to the MotoACTV app on your phone if you wish. I use the app on my MAXX occasionally to look at previous or upcoming workouts, but that's about it. Pretty much everything I use is on the device itself, or I go through the website. The website is very well done and has a lot of features. It will even give you a run down of the songs you listened during a workout - when you listened to them, how many calories you burned during them, and how far/fast you ran while they were playing (if running) - in an effort to build a playlist made up of songs that you seem to work harder to. It's pretty cool to look at the map of a run after I've uploaded the data and see a sudden spike in my speed and realize that a Slipknot song was playing then. Ha, ha. Motorola has really impressed me all the way around with this device and the effort they've put into supporting it.

And, in an attempt to bring this post somewhat back on topic, the MotoACTV is built like a tank. Quality metal and a Gorilla Glass screen. It's also water resistant. It can put up with quite a beating. It might be a good option for the OP in the bike riding/snowmobiling situations. Get some Bluetooth headphones (I have some, and I love them for running and working out with the MotoACTV), sync up the MotoACTV, stick the MAXX in a small Otterbox (one of the actual waterproof/crushproof boxes they make, not a case), stuff it in a bag or pocket somewhere, and then head on out. You'll be able to read text messages and answer all of your calls through the MotoACTV device. Even if you didn't want the headphones for answering calls or music, you could still see text messages and see incoming calls. Come to think of it, I might start doing that myself in situations where I might fear for the safety of my MAXX.

Kewl, Thanx for the advice... I'm with ya on leaving my phone behind. Every day I start out with 5.5 miles and round one for lifting. (Cardio then lifting really tears you up!!! Then keep your lifts close, little or no rest.... all the way to failure, then step it down one rep, and try it again) and during that time it will be awesome to be able to keep closer tabs on things.

I look forward to this. Thanx for the heads up!

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Back