really dumb article on GN screen cracks from cnet

he doesn't seem to blame the phone or samsung, until the end of the article anyway. the funny part is that he freely admits to beating the crap out of his prior phones and his tablet, but he somehow failed to put a case on his latest phone.

A very dumb story. I still don't see the point except if you tend to do stupid things with your phone it may break.

he doesn't seem to blame the phone or samsung, until the end of the article anyway. the funny part is that he freely admits to beating the crap out of his prior phones and his tablet, but he somehow failed to put a case on his latest phone.

ummm.....he clearly blames the phone :icon_eek:

What a pointless article. Take care of your stuff and it'll be clean. My nephew dropped mine onto marble and I'm lucky enough that it didn't get a scratch.

So, he had a hand me down with a crack in it, then he dropped it from 5 feet onto a hard floor.

.... What did he expect to happen?

Sounds like more then the screen cracked that biking mishap :D

Anyone who has seen IT crowd knows you never put a phone in a shirt pocket.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

ummm.....he clearly blames the phone :icon_eek:

bolded to help improve reading comprehension. :blink:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

+1. My manager does that all the time with his tbolt. I'm just waiting for the day it breaks and he gets upset lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Wow...I could show him pics of my Droid X1 with a cracked screen. Or maybe he goes by the Gorilla Glass is indestructible philosophy? That coulda happened to any other phone, Gorilla Glass included.

I will probably break down and get a case for my Nexus (assuming I don't return it due to unrelated issues). A month ago I dropped my OG droid nearly 25' off of a roof onto a wood deck. It bounced and fell a few more feet onto landscape rock. Battery popped out, but other than that it was fine. I can't image any possible scenario where my nexus would survive a similar fall without cracking in at least three places.

This will be first phone I got a case for, OG droid, was a beast, droid 2 at one point at work slipped it slammed on marble floor slid couple feet into a marble step..no damage...and the current x2 seems belt as tough..
but need to start being more careful

I've done it dozens of times. I never seem to learn. The feeling right as you realize that your phone is flying right up until that disheartening THUNK is painful.

However, I can see why a person might be tempted to blame the phone. I abuse my tech. A lot. My OG Droid got dropped from every pocket, from many different heights. It's hit pavement, cement, gone down stairs. I even once dropped it at exectly the right moment to be drop-kicked by my foot as I was walking, skittering across a tile floor. I had a case on it early on, but the last 5 months or so I didn't even bother with the case. It was invincible!

The Droid screen had not one single scratch or crack when I replaced it with the Nexus. It was a feat of engineering to put up with my abuse. The bezel was barely black anymore, the camera button had all the paint scraped off. It looked like it had been put through the dryer. Other phones just can't compete with that kind of solid motorola engineering!

However, I hate Motorola's business practices and PR, so I'm willing to take a chance on a phone that is more likely to break. Yes, I would blame Samsung for not going with Gorilla Glass, or making the phone more resilient to that kind of abuse. They wanted it to be light and thin and have a giant exposed curved glass screen. It's just not meant for abuse. In the time between ordering my OtterBox and it arriving, I dropped my nexus on the floor twice, and was very very lucky that it didn't crack.

My GN screen hair line cracked mysteriously. [video=youtube;7rkz36Q-xZY]http://youtu.be/7rkz36Q-xZY[/video]
Others have no idea how it’s happened to their phones as well!
[Q] Hairline crack "under" the screen. - xda-developers

Maybe it’s the new fortified glass design that’s flawed?
Maybe it’s weather related, from indoor to cold outdoors?
Maybe it’s just a bad design overall?

I just want to warn others of it’s extreme fragility.

Back