Repeating words (Swype help)

ethan_glaud

Reaction score
I use a swype keyboard on my Droid Razr M. Sometimes, when I try deleting a word, it will keep repeating that word over and over, so once I delete it, it acts like I typed the word twice. This means that it is stuck in an infinite loop, and there is no way of deleting that word, because it keeps repeating and repeating. It is incredibly frustrating and has basically rendered my droid useless! How do I fix this?

I don't have an answer but I'm fairly certain the problem would be a Swype issue not specific to your phone. So you can get better exposure I'm modifying the title and moving this to the apps area.

I don't have an answer but I'm fairly certain the problem would be a Swype issue not specific to your phone. So you can get better exposure I'm modifying the title and moving this to the apps area.

Thanks.

If it's on a browser it's an issue with Swype not rendering correctly. It might be the browser or it might be Swype. I've never been able to get a straight answer on that one. Both sides blame the other though I think it's Swype at fault. Opera is an example where I have the same problem.
Are you using the version of Swype that came on your phone? If so try the one on the Play store and see if it stops. There's a free trial version to test it out.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

I use a swype keyboard on my Droid Razr M. Sometimes, when I try deleting a word, it will keep repeating that word over and over, so once I delete it, it acts like I typed the word twice. This means that it is stuck in an infinite loop, and there is no way of deleting that word, because it keeps repeating and repeating. It is incredibly frustrating and has basically rendered my droid useless! How do I fix this?

My phone has been doing the same thing since last week. It is frustrating for sure..

If you are using the built in version of Swype, have you tried clearing the cache / data in the Swype app? Go to Settings > Apps > All > Open Swype and then > Clear Cache & clear Data. I am pretty sure that you will lose any custom words you have added to your personal dictionary, but they can always be re-added. I'm not sure if this will help your issue, but it shouldn't hurt anything to try. My wife and I both use the built in Swype and have not had this issue happen to us, yet.

If you are using the built in version of Swype, have you tried clearing the cache / data in the Swype app? Go to Settings > Apps > All > Open Swype and then > Clear Cache & clear Data. I am pretty sure that you will lose any custom words you have added to your personal dictionary, but they can always be re-added. I'm not sure if this will help your issue, but it shouldn't hurt anything to try. My wife and I both use the built in Swype and have not had this issue happen to us, yet.

Tried that few minutes ago and no luck in resolving the issue for me. I wonder if 10 lbs sledge hammer may work lol

Tried that few minutes ago and no luck in resolving the issue for me. I wonder if 10 lbs sledge hammer may work lol

Are you using the stock Swype that comes with the phone or the Swype sop from the Play Store? And yes...a 10lb hammer would definitely resolve the issue! :eek:

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Are you using the stock Swype that comes with the phone or the Swype sop from the Play Store? And yes...a 10lb hammer would definitely resolve the issue! :eek:

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Yes it does only happen when I'm on a browser, and yes, I I am using the built in Swype. I don't want to clear my cache and as write this it's happening these two I's at the end of this are proof haha II

Just curious, for the folks having the swype issue, have you tried running your phone in Safe Mode. When you boot the phone into Safe Mode, no Play Store ~ 3rd Party Apps load, only what came with the phone. If the issue does not happen, then you know that an app is conflicting with swype. if the issue still happens, then you can rule out a 3rd Party app. It's just a suggestion. The steps to boot into Safe Mode are pretty easy to find on-line ( I know they are on the Verizon website).

Just curious, for the folks having the swype issue, have you tried running your phone in Safe Mode. When you boot the phone into Safe Mode, no Play Store ~ 3rd Party Apps load, only what came with the phone. If the issue does not happen, then you know that an app is conflicting with swype. if the issue still happens, then you can rule out a 3rd Party app. It's just a suggestion. The steps to boot into Safe Mode are pretty easy to find on-line ( I know they are on the Verizon website).

Quite an excellent tip.

I tried this after reading your suggestion. Once in safe mode the word would not repeat. How ever I was unable to use the delete word button thing. Now if I delete one letter instead if the entire word then again the word would be typed in again causing it to repeat the word automatically. Pricing sledge hammers now lol

I tried this after reading your suggestion. Once in safe mode the word would not repeat. How ever I was unable to use the delete word button thing. Now if I delete one letter instead if the entire word then again the word would be typed in again causing it to repeat the word automatically. Pricing sledge hammers now lol

Well, that kind of rules out a 3rd Party App causing the issue. Since this just sort of "popped-up" on this forum and the Moto Forum, makes me wonder if the problem is with the Chrome update? I have not updated the Chrome app on my phone, or my wife's phone (just haven't had a reason to...been too busy). Both of our phones are on Chrome version 28.0.1500.64. I have tried several times to re-produce the issue on our phones and can't. Swype works great in the Text app and in Chrome. Curious to know what version of Chrome you have?

Hold off on the hammer just yet. ;)

Back