[ROM] ApeX 1.2 Series for Droid X - Functionality and Performance (12/7/10)

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
logo.png

ApeX V1.2.1 and V1.0.2.2 for Droid X - 2 parts AOSP, 1 part Blur, all ApeX :D

[video=youtube;Rv4fhgWQQb0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv4fhgWQQb0[/video]

Please note that there are TWO versions of this ROM. One for users who are on the leaked kernel from 2.3.320, and another for those who are still on 2.3.15 (OTA) kernel. Version 1.2.x is for 2.3.320, 1.0.2.x is for 2.3.15

Changes in V1.0.2.x

-All of the below, except still using 2.3.15 base
-All 2.2.1 apps from leak with the exception of dialer and contacts
-Overclocking script is back (disabled by default)

Changes in V1.2.x

-Based on the 2.3.320 leak, deodexed, optipng'd, zipaligned
-Ditched Launcher2 in favor of ADW.Launcher
-Fixed a few framework graphic bugs (ty Team DeFuse!)
-Additional sysctl.conf mods (ty nenolod & drod!)
-Added fly in pop-up animations and flipping transitions (ty johnclevenger @ XDA!)
-A few new scripts to choose between AOSP and Blur apps
-Ad Blocking toggle (enabled by default)
-Overclocking is no longer enabled by default (use Market apps to enable)
-Stability, reliability, enjoyability :)

Credits to P3Droid, TBH, Team DeFuse, Xeudoxus, Beesley, Cyanogen, Pete, and many more. Without all the contributions of the devs to the Android community, this would not be possible. Thanks!

Features:

-Optimized & Zipaligned framework and applications
-Market Fix (all apps will show up)
-Build.prop and sysctl.conf mods (ty Beesley, nenolod, drod!)
-Vanilla Android Theme w/ 10% battery percentages in bar
-Transparent Notification Shade
-ADW.Launcher with up to 7 homescreens (5 by default)
-Neural Network Live Wallpaper
-Built-in ad blocking
-MMS app w/ black background (switchable to Blur via script!)
-Yahoo! email and corporate sync working
-Custom window animations and transitions
-Spare Parts, Terminal Emulator, Wireless Tether preinstalled
-Many scripts to customize and make this ROM yours!

Screenshots

lockscreen.png
lockscreenplayer.png

homescreenadw.png
apex1-2.png

neuralnetworkadw.png
notificationshadeadw.png

Scripts: Use in terminal emulator or through adb. For installation, removal, and switching of apps.

Remove/Restore Scripts:
-calc
-dxeye
-genie
-launcher
-office
-tether

Switch Apps:
-alarm
-carhome
-email
-gallery
-messaging

Install/Remove system apps: (warning, these are very powerful! Use with caution)
*Place desired file on /sdcard
-install
-uninstall

Miscellaneous:
-adblock
-cpuinfo
-sound
-sys
-zipalign_apks

Overclocking (1.0.2.x only):
-overclock

Comes with 4 profiles by default, you can also load your own setscaling.sh from your sdcard.

Installation Instructions: Please have a nandroid of your current setup in case this is not for you :)

-Place file on sdcard. Install ROM from sdcard in ROM manager. Wipe data and cache.

OR

-Place file on your sdcard. Bootstrap recovery and reboot recovery
-Navigate to mounts and storage. FORMAT data, and cache
-Return to previous menu and install .zip from sd card
-Choose ApeX and install!

QUIRKS

-The Blur Email app (default email app) will FC if you do not have an account added through My Accounts. Just add an account first.
-If you're using another launcher besides ADW, do not use the 'Search' widget. That's for ADW only. It'll get stuck at the top of your screen if you use it on LauncherPro. Use the 'Google Search' widget instead.

Download Links:

Hotfix for all versions - Quick Office now will preview Gmail attachments and adds a 'Reboot' option to the shutdown menu.
Fabolous_ApeX_HotFix.zip

-If you don't know which version to download, go to your settings, about phone, and if your kernel version matches my screenshots above, download 1.2.x, if not, 1.0.2.x

For users who are still on the 2.3.15 kernel
Fabolous_ApeX_V1_0_2_2.zip

For users who have flashed the 2.3.320 leak
Fabolous_ApeX_V1_2_1.zip

Update to 1.2.1 for 1.2 users ONLY!
Fabolous_ApeX_Update_1_2_1.zip

Themes:

Themes for ApeX can be found at the following thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/fabolous-x/102248-themes-apex-12-2-10-a.html

Extras:

my personal ADW.Launcher config file
-If you want to try out my settings, right click the link, save as, and save that file to your sdcard. Then, in ADW, go to backup/restore, and restore configuration.

adw_settings.xml

Apps removed from 2.3.320
-You can reinstall Blur apps from this archive by placing the desired .apk files on your sd card and then using the install script!

removedapps-1_2.zip

If you enjoy my work, consider buying me a beer :)

Beer Fund | FabDroid

Last edited:
Ill be curious if anyone uses the Revo theme for Apex 1.0 on this and see if it works before Fab updates it.

Thanks Fab! Looking forward to installing this and hope your mod of NexTheme isn't far behind. ;) I've always preferred LP but after using ADW all day while testing 1.1 I have to say it's growing on me. More beer funds coming your way this week.

Can't wait to try this out! Looks great.

My only question.. Is the camera blur or AOSP? If AOSP, can we change it to blur like some of the other apps? It's the only blur feature I do like.

I think it's really important to stress to people considering this that flashing to the 2.3.320 leak is irreversible and that many users are soft bricking their phones from a variety of issues in the upgrade process.

Most users are able to follow the instructions and safely upgrade with the update.zip installation, but a significant number of users are not.

I feel it's critical for all devs who are producing ROM or other mods based on this build to take responsibility for stressing the risks involved at this stage of development.

We are working hard to devise recovery solutions for these users but we are having a lot of difficulty doing so reliably and end users must be aware of the fact that there is no safety net for this high wire act right now.

Just a word of caution, thanks! ;)

I think it's really important to stress to people considering this that flashing to the 2.3.320 leak is irreversible and that many users are soft bricking their phones from a variety of issues in the upgrade process.

Most users are able to follow the instructions and safely upgrade with the update.zip installation, but a significant number of users are not.

I feel it's critical for all devs who are producing ROM or other mods based on this build to take responsibility for stressing the risks involved at this stage of development.

We are working hard to devise recovery solutions for these users but we are having a lot of difficulty doing so reliably and end users must be aware of the fact that there is no safety net for this high wire act right now.

Just a word of caution, thanks! ;)

Thanks, this is very good advice!

I'll be sure to add a warning/disclaimer to the OP.

Wow just got 1.1 setup dammit lol. I'm assuming the nex and revo themes will work but the site I got 1.1 from had you saying you are going to have new themes soon? As always nice work, this rom flies and is honestly the best of both worlds. I like about 4 or 5 blur things and this has everything I want and nothing I don't.

Dling 1.2 right now, can't wait to see the custom animations.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Wow just got 1.1 setup dammit lol. I'm assuming the nex and revo themes will work but the site I got 1.1 from had you saying you are going to have new themes soon? As always nice work, this rom flies and is honestly the best of both worlds. I like about 4 or 5 blur things and this has everything I want and nothing I don't.

Dling 1.2 right now, can't wait to see the custom animations.

You shouldn't need to wipe data and cache coming from 1.1, so don't worry about redoing all your stuff :)

As for themes, yeah, I'll be updating them next week, as soon as my desktop computer is back in commission (the wiring in my house fried or something and my kitchen and 3 of the bedrooms have no power!)

Any chance there will be a version of this ROM down the road that doesn't require 2.3.320? I'm not really familiar with what 2.3.320 and don't want to update it if it's irreversible. But I love ApeX 1.0 and would like to upgrade to this version to see if it cures the random reboots, so I'm torn.

Any chance there will be a version of this ROM down the road that doesn't require 2.3.320? I'm not really familiar with what 2.3.320 and don't want to update it if it's irreversible. But I love ApeX 1.0 and would like to upgrade to this version to see if it cures the random reboots, so I'm torn.

If they release a way to downgrade to 2.3.15 then I can go back and remake this for 2.3.15, but for now, I'm stuck on 2.3.320 so that's all I can really build off of.

Lol now i see this after i already wiped haha. Oh well it only took a few minutes. Not sure if I am digging the transitions or not yet but they are cool. Are the transitions easy enough to remove if I decide I don't want them? Now I just need to edit the banner to get rid of the verizon banner.

I will say this thing is fast as hell. Really noticible performance jump from 1.0 and everything still works. Amazing complete rom here.

3g hotspot added back in and works great turned on with tbh patch btw. Also added back in the 3d gallery which runs great and looks great.

Lol now i see this after i already wiped haha. Oh well it only took a few minutes. Not sure if I am digging the transitions or not yet but they are cool. Are the transitions easy enough to remove if I decide I don't want them? Now I just need to edit the banner to get rid of the verizon banner.

I will say this thing is fast as hell. Really noticible performance jump from 1.0 and everything still works. Amazing complete rom here.

3g hotspot added back in and works great turned on with tbh patch btw. Also added back in the 3d gallery which runs great and looks great.

How'd you add the 3g hotspot? Link to file?

Back