Root Newb. Apps/Data restore questions

Bullwinkle

Reaction score
Hi All,

Followed instructions on here somewhere to go from 2.1 stock to 2.2 FRF84B. Kernel says 2.6.32.9 pierce @ MyDroidWorld #212. Rooted without a hitch! Thanks. Well, one small hitch, but everything is happy now.

After I finished and powered up the phone, I realized I had not even considered what happens to my Apps/Data. I DID make a nandroid backup (full) and realize I have no idea what that is actually for.

All my contacts came back.. I was happily surprised! I was so eager to dig into rooting that I never thought of them being gone. My few paid apps came back, kind of, it was easy enough to figure out. My music is came back, didn't expect that at all. For some reason I thought I was wiping the whole phone clean. Guess not?

All that to ask.. how on earth do I get my free apps back without trying to remember what they were and redo them from the Market? Also, where did my data that my apps use (user entries and such) make off to?

Do I need to do something with the Nandroid backup? Or is it to revert my phone back to stock 2.1 if I should need to?

Please someone, if you can, save me a few hours and tears over my missing data?!?!

I ended up just re-dpwnloading most of my free apps. Surprisingly, a couple found my user data on my SD card. I guess thats whats supposed to happen? a couple haven't, oh well not the end of the world. I still dont get how the backup business works. I probably shouldnt be messing around with this stuff... lol

You should've used Astro to backup your apps prior to rooting. However, now that you are rooted though, install titanium backup and do a batch backup on your apps whenever you want to flash a different rom.

Back