Root on new ota?

dadsterflip

Reaction score
Anyone heard how things are with unrevoked with rooting the new ota. I'm not asking them to hurry up or anything just incase some flamers out there or trolls.

Anyone heard how things are with unrevoked with rooting the new ota. I'm not asking them to hurry up or anything just incase some flamers out there or trolls.

Hopefully someone bring us the good news.....It's funny, how I finally see the benefits and customization benefits of being rooted and I accepted the new OTA and now I can't root anymore, lol.

Please DO NOT DOWNGRADE to 2.1- there have been many problems with attempting this. Just hang tight for a few more days and Unrevoked should have a fix publicly released.

Please DO NOT DOWNGRADE to 2.1- there have been many problems with attempting this. Just hang tight for a few more days and Unrevoked should have a fix publicly released.
All my steps I performed myself, twice actually on my own phone. Links for files are the same ones I used too...

Here you go; here's how to bypass new OTA and root :)
http://jonsuh.com/2010/11/root-your-droid-incredible-how-to/

Your method would work but going to a 2.1 on a Slcd device is no fun. While it won't brick the device, it would render it less then usable and without an unlocked bootloader it would be difficult to fix.

I would just put a warning that this is for Amoled screens only.

For Slcd's I would use this version if you absolutely cannot wait it out.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=9384491&postcount=199

Last edited:
EDIT- Doug beat me to it. AMOLED only for these instructions.

An easier way to determine whether a phone is AMOLED or SLCD is to go to menu-->settings-->About phone--> Hardware information. If the hardware version is 0002 it's AMOLED; if it's 0003 it's SLCD.

Your method would work but going to a 2.1 on a Slcd device is no fun. While it won't brick the device, it would render it less then usable and without an unlocked bootloader it would be difficult to fix.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROOT] unrEVOked 3.21: one-click root for Froyo, no downgrading

An easier way to determine whether a phone is AMOLED or SLCD is to go to menu-->settings-->About phone--> Hardware information. If the hardware version is 0002 it's AMOLED; if it's 0003 it's SLCD.
Sorry I didn't list it here.

This article does state that it is only for Amoled devices, and the instructions lists how to tell whether if it's AMOLED or SLCD.

so i read somewhere that unrevoked is supposed to be safer because it doesnt mess with the bootlog. my dinc is AMOLED... how much more risk is there involved in doing it this way?

moreover, is the warning against downgrading to 2.1 not really an issue for AMOLED?

Last edited:
so i read somewhere that unrevoked is supposed to be safer because it doesnt mess with the bootlog. my dinc is AMOLED... how much more risk is there involved in doing it this way?

moreover, is the warning against downgrading to 2.1 not really an issue for AMOLED?

This will work just fine on a amoled screen without issue. Just requires adb. Very simple to do, just read the directions all the way through.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROOT] unrEVOked 3.21: one-click root for Froyo, no downgrading

Sorry I didn't list it here.

This article does state that it is only for Amoled devices, and the instructions lists how to tell whether if it's AMOLED or SLCD.
Wasn't meant to be an attack on you. Just some people don't read the fine print. I would still put the disclaimer in the op to cover your own ass.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

By some people Doug is referring to me- I completely missed the fact that the instructions say for AMOLED only on the website.:blink: I saw the downgrade to 2.1 and immediately had flashbacks to problems people had over on IF soon after the SLCDs came out and people tried to root by downgrading. My bad- I apologize.

aright, so as advised i went to check out more info for how to install adb on cyanogenmod, and under mac it just says “write me”. im hoping someone here did this with a mac and can point me in the right direction:

i downloaded the SDK, and eclipse classic 3.5 now im not sure where to go from there, exactly

Back