Root Question

cropcirclejerk

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first time using this forum :) I have a question about rooting, I have been thinking about doing this to my new Droid 2 and I keep going back and forth... I like being able to update automaticly but I also despise having this bloatware on my phone (City ID, Blockbuster, ect.). So I was thinking, what if I were to root, remove these programs, than unroot, is that possible? Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Hello, this is my first time using this forum :) I have a question about rooting, I have been thinking about doing this to my new Droid 2 and I keep going back and forth... I like being able to update automaticly but I also despise having this bloatware on my phone (City ID, Blockbuster, ect.). So I was thinking, what if I were to root, remove these programs, than unroot, is that possible? Thanks in advance.

-Chris

When you removed the root these programs have to be in place. I don't think you can do that.

I have used a one step rooting method which I have described here. It does allow me to go back to stock anytime I want but I'm certain those programs will be back on my Droid if I do that.

Ok so, I went ahead and took the plunge. I used z4Root, uninstalled the bloatware using TiBackup, installed AdFree, and than unrooted. Rebooted the phone and it works! No ads, no blockbuster or skype or any other useless programs cluttering my phone. Now to wait and see if automatic updates still work.... we will see :)

-Chris

Ota uodates wont work unless all of the bloatware is present.

Did you backup everything that you were going to uninstall first? You will need a back up of the apps you remove if you ever have to go back to stock and warranty your phone.

That's why I always suggest using titanium to freeze them rather than delete them.

No..... I didn't back them up :( from what the first reply here was saying is that once I unrooted, it would replace those apps. Suppose I misunderstood... so did I just screw myself here? As far as freezing goes, I used the free version of Ti, freezing wasn't available :( so now what can I do? I still want my updates, but I don't want these damn apps :(

-Chris

Well as of now I would imagine you'll have to sbf back to stock when the next update comes out. I could be wrong though, there may be an easier solution.

Its a way of restoring the phone to an out of the box state.

Sounds like a pita :( when the new update comes out, will my phone attempt to update? Id rather leave my phone the way it is til I absolutely have to. Or is there another way I can find out an update has been released?

Actually i'm not positive it will restore those apps. Someone will be by shortly with more comprehensive answers.

Well as of now I would imagine you'll have to sbf back to stock when the next update comes out. I could be wrong though, there may be an easier solution.

Either that or get whatever .apk files he needs. RS squad I believe has them.

I'm in the same boat he is. I deleted about 5 pieces of bloatware, I remember 2. What will happen is the message you get will say update failed because (enter app) was not present. So you will need to get that .apk file. It will bring them up one at a time.

Back