Rooted My D2 Last Night

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Using a one step method I successfully rooted my D2 last nigh. I don't use custom roms, but one of the first things I do was install Root Explorer and Cache Mate. With Root Explorer I was able to remove many of the apps Verizon shoves down our throats like City Watch and Navigator. Cache Mate is a 1 step cache cleaner, cleans all your apps with one touch. Liberated 10 mb of space on my D2.

This morning I loaded Quadrant Standard after I overclocked with something a little different then SecCPU. I used Droid X2 from Jrummy which also comes with Apps2SD. It has a great UI with it, a bit different then Set CPU. If you've never used Set CPU for overclocking I would recommend that first. I'm in the process right now of moving my browser cache to my SD card. For most of you this won't be necessary as you have 8gb on you phone and SD card. I have a 16 gb SD cad and choose to allow my SD card to carry as much stuff as possible.

I also decided to reinstall Quick Boot, another root only application. It does what it says , it can boot you into recovery or just reboot the device. And then I downloaded a app called Screen Shot It. This one cost a few dollars more but the screen shots are perfect and there is no "shaking" the phone to get it to work.

I did my rooting with something new, this is a one step rooting device I talk about in this thread here. For those of you who want to root and thought it seemed complicated this is the way to go. It's real easy if you mess this up then you probably shouldn't plug a toaster into a wall outlet.

I'm not getting any responses on that thread so I did want to mention it here as well. Not really cross posting as I've discussed all the other things I've done with rooting as well.

Have fun, enjoy and if you have questions post them up. I will try to answer them.

Was it just as easy as the original DM Updater when it came out for the Droid 1 way back when?

Was it just as easy as the original DM Updater when it came out for the Droid 1 way back when?

Yes, about the same. The only thing I had to do different was change a setting in Applications/Development to allow USB debugging. Other then that it was one click.

When I clicked it before making that change it took me right to the proper area where the change had to be made. Now I have two choices on the app: Re-Root or Stock.

Pretty amazing considering they haven't cracked the bootloader to the best of my knowledge. Matter of fact it was less confusing the droidmod as well too.

So easy to use an infant can do it.;) Which was why I was waiting. :D

Glad to see you finally made the jump :) bootloader is not cracked yet so u have to use scripts (which is what JRummys app does) instead of the setcpu to overclock.

may i also suggest this
HomePage : Titanium Backup - Wiki
instead of actually deleting apps from the system bc when the next OTA update comes ur gonna have to put them back on there. With TBU, u can 'freeze' apps so they are removed from teh system but can be easily readded to perform an update

also, adfree is a simple app that does what it says :) and is really nice for all those free games and apps that bombard you with ads all over the place

and u know u can always ask one of us if u need any help :)

Glad to see you finally made the jump :) bootloader is not cracked yet so u have to use scripts (which is what JRummys app does) instead of the setcpu to overclock.

may i also suggest this
HomePage : Titanium Backup - Wiki
instead of actually deleting apps from the system bc when the next OTA update comes ur gonna have to put them back on there. With TBU, u can 'freeze' apps so they are removed from teh system but can be easily readded to perform an update

also, adfree is a simple app that does what it says :) and is really nice for all those free games and apps that bombard you with ads all over the place

and u know u can always ask one of us if u need any help :)

A little late for that. I'm not concerned about it though because it does have a back to stock button. It should bring me right back to stock with no issues.

ehh idk if that app can restore apps you delete. i think back to stock will remove the components of rooting.

Nice, I was waiting for a root/unroot app. I just wish there was a scripted app for removing/renaming bloatware. When there's an OTA update available it would be nice to quickly be able to unroot and return the bloat so the update works as it should.

ehh idk if that app can restore apps you delete. i think back to stock will remove the components of rooting.

Well, we will see when the time comes. Anyway I do have back up of my apps in MyBackupPro. Wouldn't that work? Nothing got wiped when we did this root procedure.

Good to have you back in the "dark side" (rooted), Hook! Your experience and post may help others who are on the fence about rooting.

Mike

BTW -- we are always looking for experienced members in RS :icon_ peace:

It says on the app, "Your device is already rooted. You can remove the root using the Un-root button, which will delete all of the files installed to root your device."

And the apps I deleted are not on MyBackupPro. Still, I'm not worried about it.

Expect Hook's Post Count to Soar through the Forum's Roof :D

S-f-m-D

Well, we will see when the time comes. Anyway I do have back up of my apps in MyBackupPro. Wouldn't that work? Nothing got wiped when we did this root procedure.

i dont think that service backs up the actual app if it sees it as a system app just because itll be there in most cases.

but i know there is a DX system dump out there with all apks so i bet PC or someone knows of a D2 one that you could use to get back system apps for the future

I just sent an email to the dev about this. I don't see how he could have a restore button if this were an issue. I'll let you know if I hear from him. I should, I promised a donation. ;)

it only a guess, but that would mean the individual rooting app would have to make a full system backup to be able to restore anything that was changed with using it.

its probably just removing superuser and the other parts of the rooting. but if worse comes to worse and u cant find a system dump, theres the SBF :)

and u have me on gtalk if u need anything

hook the apps I would recommend is titanium backup premium. Freeze your apps and as long as you unfreeze them you will have no problem with an ota. Other then your wifi tethering apps that is all I would recommend unless you want to get into bootstrapping and rom manager which I know you dont.

Back