Rooting?

It's like jailbreaking an iphone, sort of. You end up "flashing" a new ROM to your phone that allows you to use apps that are otherwise unavailable

There's a little more to it than just more apps. You can delete embedded apps, or like previous poster said flash a new rom. Can even over clock the processor. It opens up the phone to do with it as you wish. Just be carefull if you do and do alot , and I mean a lot of research. Reading is your friend here and save a great deal of trouble for you. Read the hacks and hacks help sections if you are considering it.

These guys are telling you the truth. Read everything over and over until you really understand what is required. It's actually a very easy process, but if something goes wrong you need to understand the system so you can get out of it. Or at least be able to ask for help in an intelligent manner.

I did it right after the system was rooted and I love the phone 10 times more now. I've overclocked to 1.2 Ghz and the phone is stupid fast. And it's only heating up about 5-6 degrees hotter than stock. Also, the battery life is better because once rooted you can use a program that will underclock the phone while asleep and charging. Root rules!! :) But I don't want to influence you.:icon_ devil: :)

When I first joined the boards here, I had no idea what rooting was.... I also did not understand "flashing ROMs", "overclocking", etc etc. In the simplest of terms; it's like using a public computer at the library (people still go to libraries, right?). You can do a lot of things on it and complete any one of a large number of basic tasks, just like your Droid, out of the box... tons of functions and access and so on. But on those same computers, if you try making changes to Windows folders or performing control panel tasks and so on, it won't let you, and will say you need "administrator access". Droid is the same way. There's only so much you can edit on the phone normally. Rooting is essentially your way of giving you that administrator access so you can change more aspects of the phone that you otherwise wouldn't have access to.

BayouFlyFisher - Hi. Influence us? Right On!!! Glad it works @ 1.2 gHz!!!! Can you talk a bit about what method / you used to root? Flash rom? OC? I'm reading about this now and am very close to diving in. I know there are different rooting guides - which one did you use? Thanks.

I rooted yesterday, using Sholes (DroidMod 1.0). Easy as pie, just follow the instructions on this forum.

I'm now running wide open (1.2 GHz). No problems so far (knock on wood).

Now have apps n/a on 2.0.1. No battery or CPU temps so far.

I'm 68; if I can do it, so can you.

Back