[Rumor] Motorola Droid RAZR's Ice Cream Sandwich Update Delayed, but Coming June 12

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-razr-razr-maxx-lying-down.jpg

According to a report over at CNET, Verizon is very close to rolling out Ice Cream Sandwich to the Motorola Droid RAZR, but it has been delayed. That's the bad news. The good news is that a Verizon spokesperson supposedly confirmed that their current target date for its release is June 12th. That's just next week, so at least the delay isn't too far off. Ironically, the reason for the delay had nothing to do with the phone itself, nor the ICS update. It seems that the cause of the delay is that VZW needs to update their rollout servers. We will keep you posted if we find any new developments.

Source: CNET

I wish carriers didn't have so much power here in the states. Why can't it be like in Europe and Asia where the manufacture is in charge of deploying updates. I mean really, isn't verizon loosing money by doing all these update testing, and deployment of updates? And what do they even do? Remember how buggy the Gingerbread update for the DX was. Don't tell me that it had 3 months of testing from vzw, and got an okay to launch with how it was. Plus, some of vzws other phones that launch with some nasty stuff.

US Carriers. Put all that money for the updates, and testing towards your network. Cause after all that's what you're there for.

I wish carriers didn't have so much power here in the states. Why can't it be like in Europe and Asia where the manufacture is in charge of deploying updates. I mean really, isn't verizon loosing money by doing all these update testing, and deployment of updates? And what do they even do? Remember how buggy the Gingerbread update for the DX was. Don't tell me that it had 3 months of testing from vzw, and got an okay to launch with how it was. Plus, some of vzws other phones that launch with some nasty stuff.

US Carriers. Put all that money for the updates, and testing towards your network. Cause after all that's what you're there for.

The US carriers can't embed all of their crapware if they left it up to the manufactures...NO way are they going to give away the ability to make money on embedded junk that we don't use but that they get paid to embed anyway.

Last edited:
How is this a delay? The only thing concrete we have to go on is Moto's update schedule, which states "Q2" - if it's not out by 6/30/2012, THEN it's delayed.

EDIT: It appears that this "article" is written based on another "article" by the same author, from April 27th. Apparently this guy never reads the internet, and completely missed the Moto update schedule that was posted AFTER that date. I think he's still going by that leaked memo that everyone was talking about prior.

Last edited:
A big F U to Moto and VZW for rolling out this update and leaving the Bionic in the dust. I wish I had some spare cash because I cannot wait to jump ship.

A big F U to Moto and VZW for rolling out this update and leaving the Bionic in the dust. I wish I had some spare cash because I cannot wait to jump ship.

Bionic = EARLY in Q3 (in other words, i'd bet before the end of July, were I a betting man - things will probably move quickly now that the GNex is finally being updated)

i can't even imagine how ticked you RAZR owners must be - when the RAZR was unveiled in October (??), didn't Jha say it would have ICS in "early" 2012?? i guess it's no surprise what Jha is doing now for employment - nothing!

The Bionic is scheduled to get ICS...the D3 got left in the dust.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

The Bionic is scheduled to get ICS...the D3 got left in the dust.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

neither of those phones should have ever effing been released, The D3 was a joke and the Bionic was FINALLY released, only to be trumped by the razr a month later. WTF I'm personally done with moto unless they get their **** straight with the new merger. I'm definitely looking at the new SGS3 and hoping maybe a good keyboard phone at a decent size is released someday in the future.

neither of those phones should have ever effing been released, The D3 was a joke and the Bionic was FINALLY released, only to be trumped by the razr a month later. WTF I'm personally done with moto unless they get their **** straight with the new merger. I'm definitely looking at the new SGS3 and hoping maybe a good keyboard phone at a decent size is released someday in the future.

I think I am going to request the mods make a sticky as I am so sick of hearing this, I could scream.

The Bionic that was released is simply the removeable battery form factor version of the RAZR/MAXX. It was meant to be the Targa, not the Bionic; and would have been released anyways even if the original Bionic design had been released.

The TRUE Bionic was never released due to issues between Tegra 2 and LTE.

I agree about the D3, it was too late in the game to release another 3G device.

i doubt it will be out before the razr hd comes out with ics on board. what incentive would anyone have to get the razr hd when you can have a razr with ics?

i can't even imagine how ticked you RAZR owners must be - when the RAZR was unveiled in October (??), didn't Jha say it would have ICS in "early" 2012?? i guess it's no surprise what Jha is doing now for employment - nothing!

I remember them saying something about having ICS on it within 6 weeks of the release of ICS...

They said by the end of 2011 when I bought mine on opening day.

Given all the false starts, I'm not holding my breath for next Tuesday.

This question may have come up in the context of another thread. I apologize in advance.. I have rooted my MAXX. Will that make a difference when ICS becomes available as an update? Thanks.

Back