Samsung Galaxy Tab Way!! Overpriced?

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
gorilla.jpg

Have you heard about the Galaxy Tab being a great tablet for a great price? Well I guess we are just finding out that the great price thing is not so great. After a quick run through of the hardware composite in the new Tab, iSuppli determined that everything the new Android tablet is made of would total around $205 dollars for Samsung to make. Now that $205 taken away from the $699 BestBuy is asking right now for T-mobile users is a huge margin. So the question of what the heck are we paying for comes in.

I think the price includes, like Phandroid said; workers, research and development costs, factory maintenance, software development, marketing, distribution. Regardless that is still a pretty high price, and is something similar to what Apple is being charged for every iPad sold, so it is not as bad of a thing to do.

“Instead of matching up with the iPad on a feature-by-feature basis, the Galaxy Tab really is larger version of Samsung’s Galaxy S smart phone,” said Andrew Rassweiler, director, principal analyst and teardown services manager for iSuppli. “While the design approach makes the Galaxy less expensive to produce than the iPad 3G, it also makes for a product that lacks the same usability. The Galaxy Tab’s screen resolution, size and technology are not at the same level as the iPad. This is a critical difference, given the fact that the display is a key differentiating factor for the iPad.”

Do you think this price is actually fair for us to be paying, or could they bring it down to 499 like Apple has?

Bring it down to $499? Huh?

I've never owned an Apple product and yet, at $499, I'm buying the iPad.

Try $300. $350 max. Let it compete with netbooks and small laptops like the Dell 13.

I guess it's not a dual-boot. mistake. Hope there aren't other mistakes on this.
TEGRA 2 baby! and Capacitive.

I'm not an expert by any means but I think the price is set high so the break-even point will be low. I don't think Samsung expects this to be a huge seller. As for 'is it a fair price?', any price we are willing to pay is fair - I'm just not willing. I hope it doesn't end up sinking the Android tablet market if people gravitate to the better known product with the higher acceptance factor (i*ad).

In response to beejaycee, I think that's exactly what will happen. Samsung in the tablet world is an unknown.

Ironically all the press around the time of the iPad launch claiming it was just a large iTouch worked in it's favour as it was already a known quantity, so Apple could easily ask the premium.

For me, $350-$400 would have made the most sense: it's more capable than the most expensive e-readers, but not a known quantity like i*

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

It's unlikely that the Sears ad is real. Here's what I found for ViewSonic tablet news and the $ amounts are way different: Technolog - ViewSonic's 10-inch tablet boots Windows and Android

It has been confirmed that the Sears ad is real and there are now YouTube Videos of these devices in use by new owners. The units are indeed Tegra 2 250 as well as running 2.2 and 512MB RAM. No 3G/SIM but Wifi and MicroSD card slots are in it.

Overpriced to the point of being sickening. I'm all for paying for the "toys" I like, but when it starts to feel like a rip-off they can keep it...

It's unlikely that the Sears ad is real. Here's what I found for ViewSonic tablet news and the $ amounts are way different: Technolog - ViewSonic's 10-inch tablet boots Windows and Android

It has been confirmed that the Sears ad is real and there are now YouTube Videos of these devices in use by new owners. The units are indeed Tegra 2 250 as well as running 2.2 and 512MB RAM. No 3G/SIM but Wifi and MicroSD card slots are in it.

Well, colour me corrected. It shows they're out of stock... Now with good reason!

I'm holding off on an Android tablet til GB comes out.... supposed to be more optimized to run on the tablet platform.... 2.2 is not built with tablets in mind.

wow. that is overpriced. is it confirmed that the wifi only version is coming? i hope that's $499 at most. they

Back