Samsung Working on a 12.2-Inch Galaxy Note Tablet for Early Next Year

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung_logo_brushed_metal.jpg

According to some recent supply chain rumors, it appears that Samsung is currently working on a 12.2-Inch Galaxy Note tablet which will launch in early 2014. This is the same device which earlier intel indicated has already passed through the FCC. Here's what we know about the specs:
  • 12.2-inch 2560 x 1600 display
  • 2.26GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor
  • 8-megapixel camera
  • 2-megapixel front-facing camera
  • 3GB of RAM
  • 32GB of storage
  • Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and LTE support for the cellular version
  • S Pen Stylus
What do you guys think? As the sizes of devices continue to trend upward, it makes you wonder at what point will a tablet become too big to be useful?

Source: AndroidAuthority

It depends on how you want to use it. If it is to be used at home or you carry things in a backpack then it's not too big IMO. I do think that either a 10" or 8" is a better choice for a tablet, with the 8" being the best overall size. I still consider tablets more as toys and laptops as tools, but my wife and I both have one now. She has the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 and I have the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014. I think that the 8" is a better size for taking to coffee shops and such and the 10" better for use at home or in a hotel or RV when out of town. I would rather have an 11.6" laptop than a 12.2" tablet.

I'll buy that for a dollar.

Comparison
Cheap Laptop
Good Tablet
Good Laptop
Price
$400
$400
$700
Plays HD Video Smoothly
No
Yes
Yes
Plays HD Games Smoothly
No
Yes
Depends on resolution
Weights under 4 lbs
No
Yes
No
Able to edit Office documents
Yes
Yes
Yes
Able to send email
Yes
Yes
Yes
Optional Keyboard
N/A
Yes
N/A
Battery Life
~ 7 hrs.
~ 10 hrs.
~ 8 hrs.

... That is to say a tablet has it's pros when it comes to price and usability vs. function (ie. Windows, Mac )

Last edited:
Plenty of good laptops under 4 pounds. I don't think a 12" tablet has a lot of value vs. a convertible or detachable laptop unless it is priced ridiculously low.

$400 cheap laptop = ASUS Q200E-BSI3T08 = 1.8 GHz i3, 3 MB cache, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 11.6" 1366x768, 500 GB hard drive, 3.1#. This laptop will do way more than any $400 Android tablet. If you're only looking at playing games then anything is only a toy, so buy a toy tablet. My new Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 cost $600 and it doesn't come close to the $400 ASUS for productivity. I'm smart enough to admit that I bought what is basically a toy. If I didn't have an i5 2.8 GHz desktop at home, I would have definitely bought the ASUS laptop or one similar. You can get a laptop for the same price as the Note 2014 that has far more power.

I have a 13" ultrabook that I love....I don't have a tablet, but have been considering something @8" for reading

I have a 13" ultrabook that I love....I don't have a tablet, but have been considering something @8" for reading

The Tab 3 8.0 is a great tablet for reading and web browsing. It is a lot more comfortable to hold than my Note 10.1. If all I wanted a tablet for was reading then I think I'd get the Tab 3 7.0. The 8.0 is a much better tablet for other things, but the 7.0 just feels a bit more comfortable to hold for long periods. Actually, I like to read on my phone or my wife's old 4" Samsung Galaxy Player.

Last edited:
At this rate Samsung is gonna cover every size increment between 5" and 13". Can you say market saturation????

Back