SD card music file corruption? S4 GT-I9505

WillisS4

Reaction score
Hi,
I've browsed various forums and help sites around the interweb to try & figure out what's going on with my S4 GT-I9505...
I've loaded a geniune Samsung Class 10 64gb microSD card to use as storage (because the 9gb or so that's left on the phone isn't enough).
My music files get corrupted and only play either a couple of seconds or just a burst of high-speed sound (like the track is being played at super-speed).
It seems like a common issue, so I've tried the following solutions suggested elsewhere:
Transferring via Windows Explorer
Transferring via Kies
Transferring a couple of files at a time to help prevent SD card buffer overrun (via both the above methods)
Various formats (MP3, MP4a, WMA)
Transferring a few files to the phone memory then copying to the SD card
Re-formatting the SD card and trying all of the above again

The strangest thing is that files that are successfully transferred and are playable one day turn into gibberish the next day...
So all of my music is unplayable.

I know that the card is OK bcause my video & photo files are OK. (usually uploaded via Kies)

Could someone please help?
(because I don't want to regret getting away from my iPhone...)

many thanks

I've lost count of the number of complaints regarding problems with 64GB SD cards in the S4. Samsung and SanDisk seem to be the most frequent. Not sure what to tell you other than return the card and get 32GB cards.

The only ither question I would have is did you use the phone to format the card? If not, you could try it.

I've lost count of the number of complaints regarding problems with 64GB SD cards in the S4. Samsung and SanDisk seem to be the most frequent. Not sure what to tell you other than return the card and get 32GB cards.

The only ither question I would have is did you use the phone to format the card? If not, you could try it.

Hi,
Thanks for your response...
I do happen to have a Samsung 32gb card as well - might as well give that a go & see what happens.
And I did try formatting the card both in the phone and in Windows (on two different PCs running two different versions of Windows)...

I'll try the 32gb card and report back.
Watch this space :)

AHA!! I say again: AHA, HA, AH HA!!!

removed the 64gb card (after fully backing it up, of course) & inserted the 32gb card... formatted the new card (twice!!), am now in the process of transferring music via Kies.
Only transferring a few files at a time (just to be cautious) but checking afterwards and they appear to be OK!

HOORAH! and other such exclamations of "take that, Samsung Galaxy S4 64gb microSD card!"

However, experience has taught me that what plays today might be an irritating burst of high-piched sound tomorrow...
So I will continue to monitor, and continue to report back.

So many thanks Leeshor - you've been the only person in the whole dubya-dubya-dubya to suggest changing the 64gb card for a 32gb.
If I knew how, I'd give you a great big 'LIKE' over your post!

EDIT: found the LIKE button - it's not big enough, but it'll do... 8-D

SD card music file corruption - same issue, different equipment

Hi,
I've browsed various forums and help sites around the interweb to try & figure out what's going on with my S4 GT-I9505...
I've loaded a geniune Samsung Class 10 64gb microSD card to use as storage (because the 9gb or so that's left on the phone isn't enough).
My music files get corrupted and only play either a couple of seconds or just a burst of high-speed sound (like the track is being played at super-speed).
It seems like a common issue, so I've tried the following solutions suggested elsewhere:
Transferring via Windows Explorer
Transferring via Kies
Transferring a couple of files at a time to help prevent SD card buffer overrun (via both the above methods)
Various formats (MP3, MP4a, WMA)
Transferring a few files to the phone memory then copying to the SD card
Re-formatting the SD card and trying all of the above again

The strangest thing is that files that are successfully transferred and are playable one day turn into gibberish the next day...
So all of my music is unplayable.

I know that the card is OK bcause my video & photo files are OK. (usually uploaded via Kies)

Could someone please help?
(because I don't want to regret getting away from my iPhone...)

many thanks

Hi WillisS4,

I'm having the exact same issue but not related to my phone. I have a Kingston 128gb SD card. When I save music files on it, they get corrupted exactly like you described. Strange thing is when I first started copying files to the card (via Windows 7 Explorer), I had no issues. About 1400 music files copied just fine and have not gotten corrupt. But now I can't seem to save any more to the card without all or most of them going bad just like you explained. The card has only used about 10gb of the 117gb available. I'm wondering if you have any follow up on this issue or found any further recommendations besides getting a smaller capacity card.

Thanks.

Anything over 32G is usually an issue when it comes to music files. I wonder [and not sure the OS will allow it] if you add folders and break up the amount of files. I'm kinda thinking the phone has an issue searching large databases. Just a guess!!!!

I had the exact same issue but i gave up after awhile trying to figure out was going on.... it got really annoying when half of the files keep getting corrupted even pictures. :(

Back