Signal Strength... Battery Life... Web page loading speeds.

jaydub5

Reaction score
At times I only have 2 bars of signal strength. I was told by Verizon techies that
this should not effect my battery life, which has been VERY erratic.
They said as long as I have 4G, the battery is fine. Well, I disagree, especially
where loading pages from the Web is concerned.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

The less your bars are the more you're radio has to "up" the power to communicate with the tower.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

lloydstrans is absolutely correct. 4G has nothing to do with it. If you're in a weak signal area (1 or 2 bars) your battery will be drained quicker. Modern phones use a farily sophistiated closed loop power control system, and they are in constant communications with the cell system in the background. Checking in with the system every few hundred miliseconds. So even if you never touched your phone all day, you'd see quicker battery drain in a weak signal aren than you would if you had a good strong signal. Oh, BTW, I'm a retired Verizon cell phone repair tech.

@turbodave...Nice to know that someone of your expertise is keeping an "eye" on us. Thanks!:biggrin:

Thanks guys... knew something was not right. I rarely get
3 bars, yet there is a cell tower 1.25 miles from my position,
no mountains or buildings in the way.

Well, just because there's a cell site a mile and a quarter away doesn't mean it's the site for your carrier.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2.

There is an app that will tell you (actually a flag on a map) what tower you are "handshaking" with. The one I used pushed ads to the notification bar, mandatory delete for me.

I'Of course I am referring to a VERIZON TOWER. DUH.
Right now I am down to 13% battery, 10 hours, 44 minutes
Screen 66% 6 hours
Voice 16% 1 hour
Chrome 6% 47 minutes
the rest are 2-3%
Getting worse instead of better. Last night I let the
Battery run down to 2%. The night before it ran down
to 4%.
No crap apps in background.
Signal strength between 2 and 3 bars.
Screen freezes constantly on Chrome.
My third phone. Starts off OK, and deteriorates fairly
rapidly.
Any suggestions? I force close any running apps I am not
using. Have cleaned the cache as well.

Jaydub5, just because there is a tower, Verizon or ?, that is not necessarily the tower you "grab". I have 2 Verizon towers within 2 or 3 miles both 4g. They, being conjested with freeway traffic, I usually won't grab that tower.

BTW what phone do you have, mobile can't readily see your phone in your profile?

??? It says RAZR MAXX HD in my profile. My info on the towers
comes from Verizon Level 2 techies. They said my area was
supposed to be receiving a strong signal... But NOOOO.
Am charging phone and will run in safe mode tomorrow., via
suggestion by VZW.

The bar I see just says droid, sorry, my 2 towers are supposed to get get a 3rd tower because Verizon has a lapse of coverage there. Go figure. I get about 8 hours of screen time. Mine is spread out though, 15 minutes here 30 here etc. Continuous will be harder on the battery though.

"stroped" of my razr maxx, poo.

Thanks Lloyd. 8 hours screen...how much voice call time?
When you get 8 hours screen time, what is your total
battery up time?

Typical day of voice is between 1-2 hours, hold sucks. I'm a creature of habit, charge my phone from 2-5PM, when it hits the charger its right around 50% with about 4 hours of screen, plus talk time. When I try to kill it off for calibrating the meter is 44 hours of up time, 8-9 hours of screen, 3-5 hours of voice.
I have to try real hard to kill it in 44 hours. You tube straight for 2 hours works pretty well to knock off 30% of my battery. My screen up time is texting, forums, email, FB etc.

Right now, 67%, 17 hours, 3 hours of screen. I'll update at 2 PM.

And for what its worth, just checked 113dbs. Poo.

Now at 26% battery...16 hr. , 52 Minutes... although 10 of those
hours were from recharge last night until use this AM.
Screen...58% 5 Hr. 14 minutes
Voice...1 hr. 36 minutes
I am in Safe Mode. Do not see a difference.
Thanks

Back