Smart Phone Flat Surfaces, A Thing Of The Past

SEGA

Reaction score

Tactus Technology is showcasing its next-gen mobile tactile tech at SID Display Week 2012 in Boston.

A Tactus spokesperson explained to TG Daily that their layer panel is the "world’s first" deformable tactile surface capable of creating dynamic physical buttons that users will actually see & feel before they enter data into their device. 

How it works:

The Tactile Layer panel is flat, transparent, dynamic, and adds no extra thickness to the standard touchscreen display since it replaces a layer of the already existing display stack, but when triggered they layer transforms the surface to form buttons and/or shapes with specific height, size and firmness that appear on the surface of the screen. You will physically feel the buttons as if they were keys on a keyboard.

Just think of texting with a keyboard, and then when switching to a game, the screen pops up a D-Pad and A-B buttons.

[video=youtube;t4eh-Cn3Pzk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4eh-Cn3Pzk[/video]

Via: TG Daily

Last edited:
well there goes the mojo for gorilla glass. i can only imagine how easily tactus scratches. and i would guess that screen protector films are out of the question too. we shall see i guess.

Edit: Deleted unnecessary comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting. Definitely won't have a glass front.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

Possibly a willow variant?

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

i don't like this :( i'm a bit clumsy so this is not for me. i feel like i can break it anytime.

If its a willow glass variant, likely a polymer of some form, it should have break resistant properties.... but ya never know.

As many screen breaks as there is, you would hope that strength would be a concern.

dont get me wrong though. even if this tech doesnt pan out for cellphone use (most likely if nothing else because its not durable enough), this stuff has a MILLION other applications for it. its going to be a pretty big deal, im sure of it.

If its a willow glass variant, likely a polymer of some form, it should have break resistant properties.... but ya never know.

As many screen breaks as there is, you would hope that strength would be a concern.

hmm... you got a point there. :)

Back