Stock ICS apps vs Stock JB apps

Tradge

Reaction score
I'm noticing a few annoying differences in a couple of stock apps that come with Jelly Bean vs the "Old" ICS equivalents.

The stock messaging app (ICS version) had an option to split and label a message into parts when it exceeds the text message limits. (ie. 1/8, 4/8, 7/8 etc...)
This option seems to be missing from the JB equivalent.

Also in messaging, I used to get punctuation suggestions at the end of a sentence. So if I needed to input a comma, I now have to switch to the numeric pad. Double space still inputs a period as it used to though.

I guess I could switch to another keyboard, but that's besides the point. It was just a needless change :(
I actually tried A.I. keyboard and didn't like some of the features. I guess I'll have to try Swiftkey.

I didn't notice the messaging app difference but the keyboard not suggesting the punctuation bothers me a bit, way too used to it to want to change now. As a result I have been using Thumb Keyboard from the market because it does this. It does lag quite a bit though so I will probably be changing again.

I did find a temporary solution last night, although not as fast as it was before. You can press/hold the period key on the "ABC" keyboard and then drag over to the punctuation that you want. A quick press and release defaults to a comma.

I also just noticed that selecting one of the suggested words does not automatically input a spa e afterwards as it once did. That is very minor though and will take some getting used to.

Is there a suggestion box somewhere so that it can be reported to Google? Perhaps it slipped by them somehow...

I don't think I used it long enough to notice it didn't add the space lol.

I didn't notice the messaging app difference but the keyboard not suggesting the punctuation bothers me a bit, way too used to it to want to change now. As a result I have been using Thumb Keyboard from the market because it does this. It does lag quite a bit though so I will probably be changing again.
Glad I got SwiftKey on sale some wks ago.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Glad I got SwiftKey on sale some wks ago.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I was lucky and picked it up when it was on the $.10 sale Google had, that was a great purchase. The only reason I have not been using it is because of the first thing mentioned, it does not "predict" punctuation.

Does Swift key predict or suggest punctuation?

Unfortunately no, it is fast though. The only Play Store keyboard I have come across that does it Thumb Keyboard, but it seriously lags for me.

There's a way to disable the next word prediction in JB. Goto settings-language and inputs. Click on the settings for android keyboard. Scroll all the way to advanced and then uncheck next word prediction.... voila! You now have your punctuation back! ;-)

There's a way to disable the next word prediction in JB. Goto settings-language and inputs. Click on the settings for android keyboard. Scroll all the way to advanced and then uncheck next word prediction.... voila! You now have your punctuation back! ;-)

Nice, I did not spend long looking but I am going to have to check that out!! Thank you!!

No prob Bob!

It worked (but I expected it to) so now all is right with the world. Just uninstalled Swype, Switkey, and Thumb Keyboard. Yes I was trying to get used to any one of them lol.

About the MMS, you can apparently use the ICS version without any problems. I haven't tried this yet, but there are folks that have. You would lose the widget functionality if you do this I would imagine.

Back