T-Mobile Makes Samsung Vibrant (a.k.a. Galaxy S) Official - Coming July 21

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
For those of you wondering since CES 2010, where has the Samsung Galaxy S been? Why is it taking so long to reach consumers, and which of the Big Four carriers will carry it? Well, the wait is over; it has finally arrived! T-Mobile will be the first carrier to provide Samsung's next latest and greatest handset, the Galaxy S, erm... Vibrant. You will be able to get your Samsung Vibrant on July 21st for $199.99 after signing one of those fancy two-year agreements.

original
original

Check out the World's First Vibrant Ad:

samsung-vibrant-ofc.jpg

As a refresher, what is the big deal behind the Samsung Vibrant?

• 1 GHz Samsung Hummingbird CPU (ARM Cortex-A8 architecture and PowerVR SGX540 GPU)
  • 4.0" Super AMOLED Display
  • 5 MP Camera with 720p Recording
  • benefits from enhanced speeds with T-Mobile’s HSPA+ network, but it’s not an HSPA+ device.
  • one of the slimmest smartphones on the market. The dimensions are 4.82” x 2.54” x 0.39”; weighs 4.16 oz
  • Android 2.1 with custom UI skin (with 2.2 purportedly soon to follow)
GPU Comparison (thanks to AndroidAndMe):
  • Motorola Droid: TI OMAP3430 with PowerVR SGX530 = 7-14 million(?) triangles/sec
  • Nexus One: Qualcomm QSD8×50 with Adreno 200 = 22 million triangles/sec
  • iPhone 3G S: 600 MHz Cortex-A8 with PowerVR SGX535 = 28 7 million triangles/sec
  • Samsung Galaxy S: S5PC110 with PowerVR SGX540 = 90 million triangles/sec
As you can see, the Samsung Hummingbird has arguably the greatest CPU/GPU combo to date on a smartphone. Sporting a Super AMOLED is also intriguing, as it promises a massive glare reduction, compared to its AMOLED counterpart (via Engadget). Also, worth noting that the Vibrant is not a HSPA+ device, but will take advantage of HSPA+ speeds.

You will be able to pre-order the Samsung Vibrant from Radio Shack stores for $50, starting on July 1st.

Anyone plan on buying one of these? Let us know what you think.

Also be sure to check out our sister site @ http://www.tmodroids.com

Via: Engadget and Engadget
Source: T-Mobile

Last edited:
Aahh lol We were on the exact same page. I JUST posted a topic about the Epic in the Android Smartphone section....lol

Will the Fascinate be in the Droid lineup??

Sent from my Droid

Looks like the X has some competition already. Its smaller than the EVO and the X. On paper has a better gpu than both.....

The smartphone wars are just getting started....

I recant that: it will have a better gpu than the X. I cant wait to see these benchmarks...

Oops I forgot....its already is on Quadrant.....lol

Forget what I just said. Thats wild cuz the "Shadow" and X still came out on top in Quadrant. I guess the OMAP makes up for the lesser gpu than the Galaxy S.

Too much specs flying around....Im going to bed.....

This is why you don't go buy every new phone that comes out. In a week you will want another one.

I loved all my previous Samsung phones , last one was the Omnia 2 , way better quality than the Droid or other phones on the market , this may just be my next phone when it comes to VZ . I looked at some samples taken with the camera on the European version which is released , Droid X or iPhone 4 doesn't hold a candle to this phone .

Did u say the Omnia 2? Way better quality than the Droid? Resistive screen vs. Gorilla Glass? I will ship u my Omnia and Droid and let u be the judge.....

I never even used an Inc and I would bet it was better quality than the Omnia, especially screen and reception.

The Omnia 2 was intended to have a resistive touch-screen because it was running WinMo , the resistive screen is much more precise than the capacitive one , you can also use a stylus . With a capacitive screen it's pretty hard to navigate through those small WinMo menus , the screen on the Omnia 2 is the best and most responsive resistive screen to date . The AMOLED on that phone looked better to me than the LCD on the Droid and actually clearer in direct sun , if you noticed , Droid doesn't perform very well in direct sunlight . I had the same level of decibels as with my Droid so it does not have a worse reception , but the voice quality was flawless and the speakers way clearer than the Droid . This phone was on the market one year before the Droid , yet it has a better camera , the LED flash is teen times brighter , and it can actually take videos and photos in the dark . The battery was lasting twice as much and the list could go on .

Can the screen survive being scratched...

Omina, in a bad reception area, is a no go. Same work area, different phone. Omnia didnt cut it with reception. Droid? yes. E815? yes.

I guess some of us base whats makes a good phone on different things.

Back