Tethering for moto droid -- no root

tylonal

Reaction score
i looked for another thread about this...couldnt find it, so heres the info

ok guys, some news about tethering.

the BIG question seems to be, TETHERING. i believe that was also the last quesiton i attempted to answer on here. i DO HAVE SOME NEWS on it now.
not officially somthing offered thru verizon, and you all know that tethering is possible at the moment by way of rooting your phone, however there is an app out there, LOOK IT UP PEOPLE, called "PDANET". it does NOT require your phone to be rooted, and is totally legit. it uses the phones data plan as the way to get the internet to your computer. has tethering and bluetooth options to hook up to your computer.
i know it works because i am currently using it to type this (just moved and was looking for alternatives to paying $50 per month thru comcast...) found this thru a fellow vzw friend, and voila! im on the internet. HIGHSPEED BROADBAND baby!
go check it out guys! let me know any flaws/problems with it (just for curiosities sake)
Tylonal:heart::greendroid:

I used to use pdanet on my jailbroken iphone, and now i use it on my droid. i've never had a problem. i think people say that it's slow, but i've never had a problem. i have a feeling that this app won't be around forever. i read somewhere that tmobile blocked it. can anyone confirm that? is it possible for a carrier to remove an app from the market or make it not work on your phone? anyways, i love pda net and would be so upset if it was some how disabled.

NICE I JUST GOT IT AS WELL. getting ready to try it. whats better bluetooth or usb to connect for you guys?

usb. bluetooth slows the connection. not to mention you want to charge while you're using it anyways so you're going to have to plug it in anyways.

Just remember that in using PDAnet that you are violating the VZW TOS.

Just an FYI....

Just remember that in using PDAnet that you are violating the VZW TOS.

Just an FYI....

Thanks for the FYI. Is there a way for Verizon to remove that app from the app store, or disable it on your phone?

I've got the app but haven't had a need to use it. I'm glad it is there. As long as it isn't abused is Verizon going to crack down?

I've got the app but haven't had a need to use it. I'm glad it is there. As long as it isn't abused is Verizon going to crack down?
In my town the speed limit is 35. If I go 45 are the cops going to crack down if everyone is doing it?

The answer is simply this, if a lot of data is being used, it will bring up a big old red flag and yes they could find out you were using PDANet, and yes, they could send you a large bill, and yes it is illegal. So, you use at your own risk, just like those who drive 45 mph through my town.

In my town the speed limit is 35. If I go 45 are the cops going to crack down if everyone is doing it?

The answer is simply this, if a lot of data is being used, it will bring up a big old red flag and yes they could find out you were using PDANet, and yes, they could send you a large bill, and yes it is illegal. So, you use at your own risk, just like those who drive 45 mph through my town.

Well, not quite "illegal," but definitely a violation of one's contract. VZW's interest in limiting tethering is two-fold, I think.

It's one thing to allow users to surf the net with a phone where the amount of data traffic is likely to be relatively limited. It's something else altogether to enable full computer access to the net with all the traffic that implies.

More importantly from VZW's point of view, however, is that they sell completely separate broadband access plans for double the price of the unlimited data plan for your phone. I know. I have one. In fact, I recently purchased an HP Mini311 at a discounted price from VZW. Had I realized that I could use my droid as a modem for my laptop without purchasing a separate number and data plan, I might well have foregone my purchase of the HP netbook.

question..how much is "too much". as long as you're not downloading any files (big) you should be ok? so if i'm just surfing the web, i'm good?

I think a good rule of thumb is to stay under 5GB. That's just my opinion though, based on the 5GB limited they impose on their tethering packages. And I wouldn't do any heavy downloading of files. and no torrents. Basically, keep the traffic looking like it came from the phone. Just my $.02

I think a good rule of thumb is to stay under 5GB. That's just my opinion though, based on the 5GB limited they impose on their tethering packages. And I wouldn't do any heavy downloading of files. and no torrents. Basically, keep the traffic looking like it came from the phone. Just my $.02
That's the way I look at it as well. I'm not silly enough to download torrents while tethering, or what have you. Keep it low-key and I doubt any flags will be thrown up. I've been using pdaNet on my Droid since the beginning of December, but only when I'm out on the road and need to connect to a server at work. The free version works fine for most but once tax season hit, I paid the one time fee to unlock https sites.

well then i might have a large bill coming bc ive used almost 12gb just on my droid streaming pandora 12hr a day 5 days a week at work plus all the other things i do on it

That's the way I look at it as well. I'm not silly enough to download torrents while tethering, or what have you. Keep it low-key and I doubt any flags will be thrown up. I've been using pdaNet on my Droid since the beginning of December, but only when I'm out on the road and need to connect to a server at work. The free version works fine for most but once tax season hit, I paid the one time fee to unlock https sites.
Yea I paid the $30 for pdanet but if you're rooted you may want to wait for the Sholes update. Looks like they may have usb tethering included in the rom soon.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/19888-tethering-moto-droid-no-root-new-post.html

Back