text dictionary

JSider

Reaction score
Hi! Since ICS, I can't find the text dictionary.it used to be under settings, & keyboard. What am I missing? Thanks!

It still is under Language and Keyboard, but slightly hidden. Once you get to Language and Keyboard, look for Touch Input. To the right is a hash mark-type symbol. Click on that, which takes you to Touch Input settings. At the bottom of the list, you'll see "Personal dictionary". Click on that, and you have the option to edit your dictionary.

How do you edit the stock dictionary?? I'm tired of "Getty" appearing every time I try to type "get".

All you can do is add to the customer dictionary... you can't remove existing entries but maybe with root access you could edit the dictionary list, although I have never tried, it is likely a database and not text file so it might take some work.

Edit of user dictionary

On my RAZR, I just finished an edit of my entire dictionary. To find it, go to Settings, "language & input", (I really like "Big Buttons Keyboard Deluxe")so when I see that keyboard which is checked, look to right where a gear, when pressed, shows lots of options. At very end under Word Prediction, on my phone, it lists "Learning Dictionary" and it is there where you can edit each word your phone has learned. It will be easy to stop your annoying popup of wrong word. At Getty, press it & you can either delete it or edit which applies to every word that has entered the learning dictionary.
Regarding my choice of keyboard, I wouldn't have known about this option but after my complaint to Verizonwireless salesperson, he quickly added Big Button Keyboard & I quickly went to Deluxe level. It offers lots of options. The critical option that makes all the difference is found under "Themes" & I like "Easy to Read #1" which solves my problem of having fingers that are too big for the phone keyboard. I have no idea how or why this solves the issue because the size isn't any
different but once it was installed, my problem vanished.
By the way, good luck with your dictionary. I've done nothing special to my phone so rooting isn't required for access to edit of learning dictionary. Adding apps of various dictionaries are separate to this access. It's perhaps significant that any user who can't spell will have a phone that learns how to spell poorly.

Last edited:
Back