The Need For Speed: The 16GB Class 6 Micro SD Kind...

LastBoyScout

Reaction score
Alright,

Im tired of my Droid acting laggy during certain events such as when trying to unlock the phone (which shouldn't take 15 - 20 seconds).

My only guess for the slowness after uninstalling different apps with no luck, is the SD Card.

So I've ordered a 16GB Class 6 Micro SD card from New Egg for around $50.

My question is this:

What steps should i take once I get the card to make sure it works fine with my droid?

What does it need to be formatted to? NTFS? FAT32? Something Else?

Do i just need to take all the files off of my old SD card and transfer them directly to the new one?

Also, has anyone used App2SD? Is it finally working for Droid?

Just trying to do a little homework before i get the new card.

Thanks for your assistance,

LBS

I don't think the problem is your SD card. I have the one that came with the phone and my phone is super fast.

Your SD card should have 0% to do with unlocking the phone.

To make sure it works fine, and it should work fine, just copy all your files from one card to another.

Changing your SD card is not going to speed up unlocking the phone. My phone unlocks immediately, so I have to believe it has something to do with a third party app you have installed.

yeah... i took all 3rd party apps off and it still hangs up.

i figured moving all the apps to the SD card might help.

of course i took it in to Verizon and the rep suggested waiting for the 2.1 Firmware update. The next obvious question I asked is when. Answer: I dont know, but the word is soon.

I guess a complete wipe of the phone may be in order.

you dont have a anti virus do u cause those are crap and slow it down

I have yet to use any phone that lags while unlocking, let alone the Droid. I never bothered checking, but to my knowledge, the Droid already comes equipped with a Class 6 card.

you dont have a anti virus do u cause those are crap and slow it down

No Antivirus, and no special roms or the likes. just a rooted droid.

I have yet to use any phone that lags while unlocking, let alone the Droid. I never bothered checking, but to my knowledge, the Droid already comes equipped with a Class 6 card.

Popped out the SD Card and it says Class 2

If you think it is the SD card take it off and power it on without it...

Hells yeahs.... My phone is super snappy without the card in. I would say that it takes fractions of a second to unlock without it and beautiful widgets loaded right on up with no "loading" message across where the widget should be.

it has to be the card wouldn't you say?

Maybe App2SD won't be needed at this time, just a new card.

Yeah either bad apps or bad phone... try a factory reset I guess, pull battery and then try it. The only thing a faster sd card will help you with is if you have large video files or lots and lots of pictures and of course transferring will be much much quicker. it won't really have much impact, just small stuff. saving photos, recording video... about it really. Maybe if you had a game or something that had large amounts of data stored on the sd card it used..? i dunno.

Just got the new card.

Its zippy, fast, responsive.

While i understand that changing the SD card should not have an effect on the phone unlocking, it is behaving the same way now that it was when i used the phone without the SD card inserted.

Hey, im not going to complain or state who is right or wrong, im just glad my issue is fixed.

Just got the new card.

Its zippy, fast, responsive.

While i understand that changing the SD card should not have an effect on the phone unlocking, it is behaving the same way now that it was when i used the phone without the SD card inserted.

Hey, im not going to complain or state who is right or wrong, im just glad my issue is fixed.

No clue why unlocking would be sped up by the sd card, but I suppose if you had apps that were starting up and pulling data from the card that then this faster sd card would make a difference. Only thing I can think of. I don't think anything should really be pulling from the card before you unlock your phone on boot... *shrug*.

glad you're happy though =)

I don't understand how some people got Class 6 cards and some Class 2? I ordered my phone directly from Verizon over the internet, and my card is a Class 2. :(

I don't understand how some people got Class 6 cards and some Class 2? I ordered my phone directly from Verizon over the internet, and my card is a Class 2. :(

no one got a class 6 card with their phone. He bought the class 6 card separate, all of us received class 2 micro sd's with our droid phones.

class 6 cards can be very expensive.

Back