Turn off Text to Speech when in Car Dock

jthorpe

Reaction score
Ok, so I haven't been able to find a menu that will turn off car dock from reading my text messages out loud to me. When I'm driving I don't even want to hear that crap or send text messages, but no matter what I do, I cannot get the car dock app to stop trying to read out text messages to me. Anyone on here have the car dock yet and if so, have you tried turning this "feature" off? I can't stand it!

Still been trying to get this thing to shut up when receiving text messages while the phone is in the car dock. I decided to download car home ultra (non stock app) and make it the default car dock app for my phone. Even though I have done all that, when I get a text message, the Text to speech crap STILL pops up. I've turned it off in the menu under settings with no luck. This is going to be a big pain in the butt until I can figure it out. The Car Dock on my Droid X didn't do all of this stuff. There has got to be a way somewhere to turn this junk off. If they have forced it on us, I'm not gonna be a happy camper.

Well I have been working on this and cannot for the life of me get this thing to stop announcing every text message. It's annoying! ...and I'm taking it that there aren't a lot of people with the car dock out there yet. lol - If someone figures this out, please let me know.

try this out... No dock needed (I hope I say this so you can follow.)

Settings - Voice Input & Output - Text to speech Settings..... I think there should be your fix.

try this out... No dock needed (I hope I say this so you can follow.)

Settings - Voice Input & Output - Text to speech Settings..... I think there should be your fix.

Change that.... This is going to help you abit
Might try the same thing while on dock? or use the Menu button to see if there are further settings you might have missed at some point? I took my Car Dock back. But I use the Lapdock and the HD dock neither of them cause that effect. Has to be a setting for just that dock.

Found this looking it up on the web (So Borrowed Fix)... Not as simple as turning off a Bad Feature but Google has a Stock Car Dock App on the market but "Droids" don't like to get it from market so you will have to use this link and Browser of Firefox to Down Loaded it. Wish I had an easier fix but from what I have read this will do the trick for you and still give you every thing else you want if not better than the one that came on the phone. [FONT=&quot][/FONT]https://market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.carhome&feature=search_ result

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. I did some research and did find the google car home app. Here is the kicker though. You can't get it on the market so you have to do a google search for it and then move it to your phone via usb and install it from there. So this is the link to the process I followed:

http://www.droid-forum.com/bionic-car-dock-app-text-speech-issues-t3378.html

Last edited:
Look on YouTube for (sqlite editor, bionic, mobile hotspot.) Useing sqlite editor you make one change and you have free wifi tether untraceable. Yea I know your a cop but this is not stealing as you will be using it the same as if by USB.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I would but I actually have an aircard. The tethering we use is for sending text messages back and forth using the SMS function of PDANET. It keeps us off the radio a lot when we aren't driving and was a great tool for communicating things we didn't want people with scanners to hear. So much for that. The good news is that even in the dock, the phone hears my voice well and is pretty accurate so that works for now. Just disappointed in Motorola for some of the "features" on this phone....

Now would I trade it back and downgrade for the functionality I miss? Oh heck no. This phone does rock... I'm getting super high speeds on speedtest.net and the applications come up FAST.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. I did some research and did find the google car home app. Here is the kicker though. You can't get it on the market so you have to do a google search for it and then move it to your phone via usb and install it from there. So this is the link to the process I followed:

http://www.droid-forum.com/bionic-car-dock-app-text-speech-issues-t3378.html

This is the way to go. I tried just installing the apk with out freezing the stock car dock....it still popped up and screwed with my BT(command one). I only had to purchase TI backup to use the freeze function that enabled me to freeze the motorola car dock.

I bought the command one to be compatible with the bionic and it worked great outside of the car dock. But once you placed it in the dock the motorola cardock software screwed the functionality of their own blutooth headset (command one with motospeak). Go figure... But luckily this community exists and now since following the steps to freeze the stock car dock..My command one works great in the dock and i can voice reply to incoming text messages..YAY! Added bonus...I gained an even better car dock app..

Awesome news. I'm glad it worked out for you. Mine has been working great. I guess when the next upgrade comes out, we'll have to do it all over again but I will wait on that one until I know the phone can be rooted again.

Now if I could only modify the car dock to pass data. Dang, I really wish Motorola hadn't done what they did with this car dock.

Back