Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
So I undervolt my Droid 2 with Jrummys overclock app and my slots look like:

300000mhz - 16v
500000mhz - 25v
800000mhz - 40v
1000000mhz - 48v

My question is, even though my phone can "handle" these voltages and runs cool, can undervolting the cpu too much actually cause more battery drain somehow? Any insight on this would be appreciated. Thank you.

I don't think it can because all ur doing is just telling the phone how much energy it can send to the cpu. Now depending on how the phone runs, it may run better at slower speeds. If u go to low the phone may not have enough power to process the information at 1ghz but it may not have that lag at lower speeds.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

So I undervolt my Droid 2 with Jrummys overclock app and my slots look like:

300000mhz - 16v
500000mhz - 25v
800000mhz - 40v
1000000mhz - 48v

My question is, even though my phone can "handle" these voltages and runs cool, can undervolting the cpu too much actually cause more battery drain somehow? Any insight on this would be appreciated. Thank you.

The answer is a 100% resounding yes.

The CPU is made up of two main components. The execution pipeline and internal memory. While both parts have the same transistors, diodes, resistors and capacitors, the memory side is the more critical of the two in reference to your question. If your phone has an ECC module (Error Correcting Code), the phone when undervolted will cause soft errors that have to be constantly corrected. This constant correction is what will eat the battery and cause extra heat. I know the Droid 1 has that ECC module and I am willing to safely assume the Droid 2 has it as well.

Ecc is normally in the memory.
Is it built into the cpu on the d2?

Ecc is normally in the memory.
Is it built into the cpu on the d2?

Modern CPUs have memory segments from 16k to 4 megs for faster instruction execution. That memory is a tad more critical than motherboard mounted memory so it is normally protected with some form of ECC.

Back