Used z4root, question on ROM install

L0ckett

Reaction score
So I decided to give rooting my phone a chance. I used z4root and selected to temp root it just to try it out. Well it worked like a charm which makes me happy. My question is though, being new to rooting, I would like to run ManUp456's Revolution theme on my phone and it says to reboot into clockwork recovery, make a Nandroid back up, flash the rom, and reboot. Now seeing as how I am temp rooted once I reboot the phone I will be unrooted. Is there any way around that so I can still run this rom and not have to reboot? If not, then I will give it a shot to permanently root the phone. My other question is can someone offer me a step by step guide on how to boot into clockwork, do the nandroid backup, and all that fun stuff...preferably in stupid people terms? lol.

Z4Root has two options, temp root and permanent root, just select the permanent option, you may have to do it twice to have it fully take. You can install root checker app (in the market) to confirm you have root.

D2G ROM's

So I decided to give rooting my phone a chance. I used z4root and selected to temp root it just to try it out. Well it worked like a charm which makes me happy. My question is though, being new to rooting, I would like to run ManUp456's Revolution theme on my phone and it says to reboot into clockwork recovery, make a Nandroid back up, flash the rom, and reboot. Now seeing as how I am temp rooted once I reboot the phone I will be unrooted. Is there any way around that so I can still run this rom and not have to reboot? If not, then I will give it a shot to permanently root the phone. My other question is can someone offer me a step by step guide on how to boot into clockwork, do the nandroid backup, and all that fun stuff...preferably in stupid people terms? lol.

Your signature says you are using a D2G. Your post says you want to run ManUp456's Revolution theme on it. I don't know what this MU456 is- is it a ROM or a theme? If it is a ROM you can't run it. If you do, your phone will die! Well, maybe/maybe not- you might be able to bring it back to life.

So far, only Fission 2.4.3, Angel Rom, Fenom, GRD's ROM, and maybe one other are the only ROMs you can run on this phone. You can run Liberty and another one or two if you use GRD's ROMmer tool along with it.

Please- before you do anything else to your phone, read everything you can in these forums! I only tell you this to save you from doing some of the things some of us have already done- that didn't work!

Good luck with your phone!

(ManUp456's Revolution theme) Your signature says you are using a D2G. Your post says you want to run ManUp456's Revolution theme on it. I don't know what this MU456 is- is it a ROM or a theme?

Dude he said its a theme.

And ManUp456 is a Dev

OP: well make sure that THEME is made for your device cuz if it isn't u will bootloop.

Just do permamnent root and once ur done installing ur theme use the same app to unroot and ur good.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Thanks guys for the help. I ended up just doing a permanent root and checked it with root check and everything is all good. I downloaded ROM Manager and do have the bootstrap app but when I go into the bootstrap it only has the option for the droid 2 and not the d2g. Will that affect anything?

Forget rom manager. Its useless on the D2G. All you need is the bootstrap. Launch the app, choose the boostrap button first. Allow root access. Then hit OK. Now hit reboot recovery and your in the clockwork recovery menu.

Thanks for the info. I found out that my phone does reboot into clockwork recovery. My battery died and when i through it on the charger, powered it back up, I saw a screen that I never noticed before...turns out it was clockwork, lol. Now on to the task of choosing the best ROM.....

Make sure your battery is fully charged to be safe. My understanding is while flashing something even if you're phone is plugged to the charger it wont charge resulting in a dead battery and possible soft brick that you can't charge with again. Take your time and be patient, I bricked my d2g and had to sbf and that was a whole new ballgame. You'll learn everything you need to know on these forums if you look around and take the time to read.

my ANGEL blacked out

Thanks for the info. I found out that my phone does reboot into clockwork recovery. My battery died and when i through it on the charger, powered it back up, I saw a screen that I never noticed before...turns out it was clockwork, lol. Now on to the task of choosing the best ROM.....
Yeah thers a few tricks for getting in to clockwork with out using bootstrap as you found out. And yes as stated above ALWAYS make sure you have sufficent battery when flashing anything. If the batt gets to low you may have to rely on a chargin station to charge the battery but only if your phone is in a non working state.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Back