Verizon 4G is terrible

iWordplay

Reaction score
My Nexus is downloading at 3 mbp while in 4G. It says I have full bars pretty much all day long. So I'm just wondering is this a Verizon issue or my ROM? I'm running Razors Jelly 2.6.

My Nexus is downloading at 3 mbp while in 4G. It says I have full bars pretty much all day long. So I'm just wondering is this a Verizon issue or my ROM? I'm running Razors Jelly 2.6.

Full bars doesn't guarantee fast speeds. There are tons of variables that come into play with internet connectivity, signal strength is just one of the many. It could be a Verizon issue definitely. It could be congestion on the network/tower in your area. It could be a problem with the host you are connecting to for downloads/speed tests, or a bad hop between you and that host. Among a list of many other things.

Your custom ROM should have little, if anything to do with your download speeds.

Side note, I don't trust the speeds that the speedtest app in the market gives if you are using that. I have been able to get better, and what I consider more accurate, results using a different options. Speakeasy's website offering isn't bad. Another option, which I do on my desktop quite often, is to download a Linux distro via torrent (which is doable on a phone). Note that with the torrent you may have to give it a few minutes to connect to seeders and get up to speed, so if you aren't on unlimited this may not be a good idea. But theoretically if you are on a well seeded distro, you would take the host issues out of the picture.

cupfulloflol said:
Full bars doesn't guarantee fast speeds. There are tons of variables that come into play with internet connectivity, signal strength is just one of the many. It could be a Verizon issue definitely. It could be congestion on the network/tower in your area. It could be a problem with the host you are connecting to for downloads/speed tests, or a bad hop between you and that host. Among a list of many other things.

Your custom ROM should have little, if anything to do with your download speeds.

Side note, I don't trust the speeds that the speedtest app in the market gives if you are using that. I have been able to get better, and what I consider more accurate, results using a different options. Speakeasy's website offering isn't bad. Another option, which I do on my desktop quite often, is to download a Linux distro via torrent (which is doable on a phone). Note that with the torrent you may have to give it a few minutes to connect to seeders and get up to speed, so if you aren't on unlimited this may not be a good idea. But theoretically if you are on a well seeded distro, you would take the host issues out of the picture.

This.

How about dslreports.com. They have speed tests there and all the computations are done there as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back