Verizon Bringing Their LTE C.O.W To Major Florida Events and Locations

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
verizoncow.jpg

Cars are becoming the talk of the mobile tech world, first the Droid 4 is code named the Maserati, now Verizon is bring LTE to where its needed on big trucks. According to their press release, Verizon will be distributing their 4G LTE C.O.W's (Cell On Wheels) to major events and densely populated areas in Florida. This is being done in an attempt to keep your 4G signal strong and always available when you need it --like at that football game you are suppose to be watching.

The newborn C.O.W. will be deployed to targeted locations across the state when demand for wireless coverage and services spikes, including championship sports events, tourist destinations or large festivals. It also will be available to reinforce the most advanced 4G LTE wireless services for emergency responders and to the public in areas hit hard by a hurricane or other crisis.
The mobile unit is designed to handle hundreds of simultaneous voice calls and 4G LTE data transmissions such as photo and video messages, music and app downloads, internet surfing and more.

Via: Droid-life

I like the idea, but why only in Florida? Political rallies would be good to cover like that too. Concerts, parades, pretty much any mobile gathering. Why do them Florida people get it.

because your state isn't good enough. :)

maybe because VZW-FL ordered them up first, and considering we are sticking out in the sea like a sore thumb asking for a hurricane to hitch a ride, makes sense. FL also has one of the largest LTE footprints around.

I like the idea, but why only in Florida? Political rallies would be good to cover like that too. Concerts, parades, pretty much any mobile gathering. Why do them Florida people get it.

From reading the source article, my guess is that they are getting the first of many trucks because they need it the most caused by a combination of heavy 4G usage, numerous highly populated events, and an under developed infrastructure around those events. Just a guess though.

A friend of mine went to Tallahassee for the FSU v. OU game on September 18th, and she said that EVERYONE who had Verizon lost service for roughly an hour, right before the game was about to start. There were probably 150,000 people within a 1-mile radius of Doak Campbell Stadium that afternoon, and I don't think it's far-fetched to think that at least 30,000 of those fans have service through Verizon. With that kind of outage, I'd imagine they probably received a torrent of complaints from customers in the area once service was restored. Maybe this had something to do with the decision?

A friend of mine went to Tallahassee for the FSU v. OU game on September 18th, and she said that EVERYONE who had Verizon lost service for roughly an hour, right before the game was about to start. There were probably 150,000 people within a 1-mile radius of Doak Campbell Stadium that afternoon, and I don't think it's far-fetched to think that at least 30,000 of those fans have service through Verizon. With that kind of outage, I'd imagine they probably received a torrent of complaints from customers in the area once service was restored. Maybe this had something to do with the decision?

Really? I live in FL and have never had any issue with reception and I don't live in a major city either. Strange that Tallahassee would...

Really? I live in FL and have never had any issue with reception and I don't live in a major city either. Strange that Tallahassee would...

I lived in Tallahassee for a number of years, but I had Sprint during that time. Their service back then was pretty awful. All of my friends who had Verizon though never had any reception issues either. I think it was just the sheer number of people that were all using the same tower(s) on game day that caused the network to crap out.

Back