Verizon GN Has Really Bad Wireless Signal? (not 4G/3G)

daudi81

Reaction score
I just gave my wife my thunderbolt - and "upgraded" to a nexus yesterday (2-6-12)

I use data up quickly - with all music and movie streaming I do. So I try to use wireless AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Anywhere I'm at most of the time has a wireless network (home, work, gym, etc) so this isn't a problem. The only time I use Data is between those places.

HOWEVER, the ONLY spot out of those locations above that the GN will pick up wireless reliably is at home. It can physically "see" the network at my gym and work - but once it connects to them it cannot stay connected and it's a really weak signal. So I have to just turn it off and revert to 3G/4G performance. Contrary to what people have experienced with this phone, my 3G/4G isn't that bad (at least as good as my Tbolt), and it switches radios just fine.

However, this wireless issue is really a deal breaker for me because I can use up my 2g dataplan in 1 week if I'm always on 3g/4g.

Thinking of going and switching it to a Razr Maxx or Rezound and seeing how those are - but I REALLY like the phone's screen, OS, features, etc. Sh*tty wireless is just not an option for me though.

Anyone have any ideas/fixes? Do I have a bad phone or is this normal?

I've heard mixed responses in other threads about this subject. I live in an area where my thunderbolt and my bionic (before returning it) couldn't hold a wireless signal. I've had my GNex for slightly over 14 days and it holds a very good signal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Launch day Nexus and mine holds a good signal.

I just gave my wife my thunderbolt - and "upgraded" to a nexus yesterday (2-6-12)

I use data up quickly - with all music and movie streaming I do. So I try to use wireless AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Anywhere I'm at most of the time has a wireless network (home, work, gym, etc) so this isn't a problem. The only time I use Data is between those places.

HOWEVER, the ONLY spot out of those locations above that the GN will pick up wireless reliably is at home. It can physically "see" the network at my gym and work - but once it connects to them it cannot stay connected and it's a really weak signal. So I have to just turn it off and revert to 3G/4G performance. Contrary to what people have experienced with this phone, my 3G/4G isn't that bad (at least as good as my Tbolt), and it switches radios just fine.

However, this wireless issue is really a deal breaker for me because I can use up my 2g dataplan in 1 week if I'm always on 3g/4g.

Thinking of going and switching it to a Razr Maxx or Rezound and seeing how those are - but I REALLY like the phone's screen, OS, features, etc. Sh*tty wireless is just not an option for me though.

Anyone have any ideas/fixes? Do I have a bad phone or is this normal?

I had similar issues with the nexus so I know your pain. It seems to be hit or miss. I personally been through 4 but I could have gotten the same bunch from that bad batch and I know many in my area who bought a nexus experiencing similar issues. If you can not handle the issues then yes I recommend the razr maxx or rezound. I am currently running an ics rom on my rezound and I have the same features that I loved from my nexus, but if you go rezound you WILL need the extended battery. The razr maxx is also a nice device and loaded with features. You cant go wrong with either.

I got mine at best buy - so it's an easy return - and I will try to go through maybe 3-4 phones until I get a good one. If I can't get one - I will try the MAXX/Razr

Also - I just found out today I have the unlimited data plan - so I will probably just use my 3G/4G instead of wireless until this is fixed. It's really weird NOT using my wifi since it's so much faster but if it's the only way I can stay connected....

I got mine at best buy - so it's an easy return - and I will try to go through maybe 3-4 phones until I get a good one. If I can't get one - I will try the MAXX/Razr

Also - I just found out today I have the unlimited data plan - so I will probably just use my 3G/4G instead of wireless until this is fixed. It's really weird NOT using my wifi since it's so much faster but if it's the only way I can stay connected....
What speeds are you getting with wifi? I get about 24mbps with Wifi and about 22mbps (depending on time of day) on 4g. 4g is not much slower

your speeds are crazy compared to mine.

Wifi at home is roughtly 8-10mbit - assuming it stays connected (on a 100mbit xfinity cable line, nice router, etc)
Wifi at work 4-5mbit - assuming it stays connected

4G at work 4-5mbit
3G at work 2-3mbit

Yea, I'm thinking mine sucks or my area sucks. My Tbolt gets 10mbit 4G though, and about 15mbit wireless at home.

Last edited:

Wifi at home is roughtly 8-10mbit - assuming it stays connected (on a 100mbit xfinity cable line, nice router, etc)

4G at work 4-5mbit
3G at work 2-3mbit

Yea, I'm thinking mine sucks or my area sucks. My Tbolt gets 10mbit 4G though, and about 15mbit wireless at home.
Wow that is quite the difference.

What speeds are you getting with wifi? I get about 24mbps with Wifi and about 22mbps (depending on time of day) on 4g. 4g is not much slower

22 mbps??? Holy crap...you running a T1 or FiOS connection? I have 3 mbps at home which is slightly faster than 3G in my area (no 4G yet)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Wow that is quite the difference.

Yea - at home, my vaio laptop connects wirelessly and gets about a 75mbit connection regardless of where I'm at in the house.

This phone however...not even 1/10th of that.

4G at work 4-5mbit
3G at work 2-3mbit

I'm not trying to be a schmuck, but with speeds like that, I would have used the phone for target practice....

I'm not trying to be a schmuck, but with speeds like that, I would have used the phone for target practice....
:D:D:D:D probably one of the more expensive targets you'd ever shoot at.

But yeah he's really getting slow speeds even for 4g. I've never heard 4g speeds that low even in weak signal areas. The wifi speed could be due to the service he paid for.

:D:D:D:D probably one of the more expensive targets you'd ever shoot at.

But yeah he's really getting slow speeds even for 4g. I've never heard 4g speeds that low even in weak signal areas. The wifi speed could be due to the service he paid for.

Dang - you guys are making me depressed =(

I will run to best buy tonight and pick up a razr and see if it's any better.

I do know that 4G is pretty new to our area so that could be it. But my Tbolt which is near a year old gets faster speeds than this brand new nexus which is pretty unacceptable.

Edit: Actually I think it might be our area. We just got 4G in July-August (which I didn't know until I looked it up), and it looks like others from my area are getting about the same speed as me. Now I don't feel as depressed.

I live in SLC, Utah BTW.

Last edited:
I had both a Razr and a Rezound and neither was any better than my Nexus on wifi. You must have a bad one. As a matter of fact with the new 4.0.4 radios my Nexus now outperforms both of my prior phones on 3G/4G. If you love flashing and modding don't get either the Razr or Rezound because you will regret it, and you can't switch back again afaik. The Nexus is only getting better through updates and it's only been out for less than two months. As far as the aosp ics on the Rezound it's terribly laggy and not even comparable to the GNex.

Last edited:
I had two Nexi and they both sucked. Wifi, 4G and 3G. They are built with inferior parts. Get yourself a Rezound, it has the best signal out there.

Back